Skodia Kodiaq Car key reprogramming

Dear all,

Car key reprogramming:

My Skoda Kodiaq with VIN number: TMBL6NS1M8046662 has an official key with code 3V0959752P AIF.

I found this one to be expensive and ordered another from a dealer, paying a high price.

However, upon complete technical analysis, as I am a programmer myself, I found a second-hand key from a Kodiaq with VIN number: TMBJB9NS0M8516475, with key code: 3V0959752M AIF, featuring the same chip. I paid very little for this one.

Now, this 3V0959752M AIF key needs to be reset or, let's say, reformatted and reprogrammed to my car.

Is this possible remotely? It seems unlikely.

If it's possible, how and by whom? If not, why not?

If it is possible, what software and toolkit are needed for this chip?

Thank you.Aykut

If anyone could reprogram a key to open another vehicle, that would be a major security hole. I’m not even sure dealers can do this, and they may well refuse or be unable to reprogram a key and only be able to supply a new key preprogrammed somewhere else (the factory).

I did this on my Roomster but Skoda gave you the immobiliser module logon key codes back in 2007. You program the car to the key, not the other way round.

Now the security key codes to log onto the immobiliser module in your vehicle are only known on VWs system and must be done using the dealer tool. The dealer OBD tool can network link and request the logon key codes from the VW Database. Even the dealer themselves do not know those keys, it is all hidden and controlled within the dealers OBD systems.

Programming the key itself I believe you can only do once. The little immobiliser bean in the key is a one time programmable item, but you can buy new ones, search for ID48 Transponder Chip and you'll see the item I mean. They are blank and ready for that once allowed programming.

Systems may of moved on from those days.

In fact thinking back now I had to do two programming actions. One was to pair up the lock/unlock for the doors, the other was the immobiliser pairing to allow the key to start the car.

Aubrey,

Thank you for your response; this is certainly very clear to me. I understand the encryption and security measures of VW. I went to an official dealer and I'm going to buy a completely new one, and I have also placed an order. This cost me 500 euros, 400 for the car key and 100 euros for reprogramming because the technician could do it in the car; it's not possible remotely.

Well, through a Dutch second-hand, I found the exact key 3V0959752P AIF, also mentioned for 5 euros. I also ordered a new ID48 Transponder Chip, which cost me 1 euro.

Now, my question is, is it not possible to clone? If yes, do you know a good company or professional who can do this, or is it still necessary to go through the official dealer for programming? The second-hand order is still to be delivered by DHL, and the ID48s are also on their way via AliExpress.

I'm trying; if this works out for me, I'll have 2 new keys and 1 official key for 7 euros. Pretty nice, right? :)

Also, thanks to Yogi-Bear for your response - but my question was completely different, by the way.

Sorry I don't know any specific details. My initial thoughts are it must be possible as many locksmith companies do that, also search for key cloning/programming on AliExpress and you will see units to do what you ask.

I thought car keys now have rolling codes that change, so how would that work with 2 keys copied. In how would they roll codes in sync ?

But sorry, as said I don't know any specific details.

I found a key in a drawer that belonged to my previous Kodiaq.

Tried asking if anyone could find the current owner, but no luck.

Can anyone use a spare key and code it to their car?

I’d hate to throw a good key in the bin.

so if I remember correctly, the way it works is this:

- the blade needs cut to suit the actual physical lock of the car, giving you emergency entry or so, depending on the spec (my A2 still has 1 physical key hole visible, the Octys and Superb don't, but it is still there)

- the transponder needs to be coded to work with the lock / unlock function --> this is the re-sync with 2 keys and is generally possible without too much hassle and what locksmiths can generally do (i asked about a replacement key not too long ago and was told this was possible), as it's about syncing the rolling codes with the lock / unlock list in the car.

- the immobiliser is different and cannot be cloned, as each key* car probably gets a specific seed value for the crypto... there are generally 3 key slots available on the newer vehicles, and the dealer (or your friendly programmer with dealer-level tools) gets to assign one of the keys to the space in the car. Then some fancy stuff happens and the key is known.

In other words, I think your key for €7 isn't going to work, but a key for €107 may. If you are 100% sure the frequency of the key and the car are the same (part numbers!) then there's a good chance it will all work. You will unlikely be able to clone a working key to another without dealer tools (NFC reader or whatever it is, must be something along these lines) and the software to go with it. Looks like Ali has these things but at 600+999 for the software.

I suspect strongly that you'll need to strongly authenticate (2FA with real names in an official system) against the VW systems before adding new keys going forward. The reason the up! got canned is security protocols... another reason why the cars are going to go cloud-based.

* thought this through some more: car-based seed makes way more sense. For a replacement key, decode the seed in the key through the key responses to a challenge, copy to another key, tell the car the result of XOR seed + key serial - boom - done. Too easy IMO.