Mk III Scout - 2.0 TDI 150 - Engine running rough randomly

Hi guys,

I'm new to Skoda, and I have a problem with my newly acquired 2015 scout, which is hardly possible to describe as a problem, but it sure is.

Usually I start the car, wait for 1min at idle for the oil to reach all over the engine, and then start driving. The problem is that only sometimes the engine runs smooth, accelerate faster, and there are very few vibrations when cruising around 2000 rpm. Most of the times it runs quite rough, accelerates harder, with more noise and vibrations. The only fix I found is to stop the car, stop the engine, wait for a few seconds, and start the car again. But even then, smoothness is not guaranteed. Lets say 1 time out of 5 starts the engine runs smooth, and the other four is quite noisy and the vibrations are felt all over the chassis. It doesn't matter if the engine is cold or not.

Also, sometimes when accelerating it feels like losing power for a split second, then continue to accelerate.
There is no error on the dashboard. I just changed all fluids, used Liqui Moly 5W30.
The car have manual transmission and have 130.000km on the dashboard. Engine model is CRMB.

Any idea why this can be? Its quite annoying, especially on long journeys, to play dice until it runs smooth. When it starts running smooth, it runs all the way, until I stop the engine, and that's why is so frustrating.

Thanks!

Edited by ciolo
typos

17 minutes ago, 3rdoctavia said:

Hi,

It sounds like a misfire of some sort. What's the fuel consumption like on the trip computer ?

Thanks

Fuel consumption is normal, I haven't noticed any significant change.

• 2 weeks later...

Found the problem. I have a key starter, instead of a button like the newer models. When turning the key to start, if I only give it a small impulse the engine starter does its work by itself, without me having to keep the key turned until the engine starts. This way the engine starts and runs smooth, with no issues. If I keep the key turned until the engine starts, however, the engine runs rough and noisy. Must be some kind of micro-alignment issue with the starter vs the engine, and when I only give it an impulse the starter and the engine sync properly.

Mmmmm.........................................

Implausible but I am not the person experiencing it first hand.

Th

2 hours ago, ciolo said:

Found the problem. I have a key starter, instead of a button like the newer models. When turning the key to start, if I only give it a small impulse the engine starter does its work by itself, without me having to keep the key turned until the engine starts. This way the engine starts and runs smooth, with no issues. If I keep the key turned until the engine starts, however, the engine runs rough and noisy. Must be some kind of micro-alignment issue with the starter vs the engine, and when I only give it an impulse the starter and the engine sync properly.

That's how it's set up. All normal. Turn the key to the start position and release. The glow plugs do their thing and when it's ready the starter kicks in. No further input from you is required.

I learn something every day, sounds like it is replicating what must happen with a start button on a diesel engine.

One thing of note is that the glow plugs will need to be replaced. 130,000kms is about right for this to happen. If you are experiencing issues and you put it down to glow plugs then it is time to change them.

• Like 1