Static or 'Hiss' coming from Columbus/Canton when radio low/muted

Hi all,

I hope I haven't dug myself into an expensive hole so I'm hoping you can help -

Earlier today I took it upon myself to install the latest firmware 0411 on my Columbus MIB1 with Canton. When returning to the car this evening I couldn't help but notice that, when muted or on a low volume, I can hear a static like 'hiss' sound. 

I don't know if it's related to the firmware; but after hearing this issue I scanned with OBDeleven and got the error 'B201A00: Checking software version management' which apparently relates to the Canton AMP - I followed the process on mib-helper and cleared it via OBDeleven and unfortunately, even though the car no longer reports any errors/issues on rescan, the hiss is still there.

Is there something I need to do to readjust the Canton system given that I've updated the firmware? Can I even revert it back to what it was previously on? I literally have to turn off the radio to get the noise to stop.

Thanks for your help as always guys - I'm pretty annoyed at myself and should not have gone near the system as errors/glitches were rare on it before this.

@pab567 @varooom - would you have heard about this?

PXL_20240418_011043045.jpg

PXL_20240418_010907394.jpg

PXL_20240418_010937330.jpg

PXL_20240418_010955611.jpg

PXL_20240418_011000336.jpg

Edited by foregonereality

Looking at a few sites I've noticed the comment 'External amplifier (Bose, Bang&Olufsen) might need dataset after update' on the mib helper page - is this the 'reparameterization' I've heard about and would it apply?

Any way to do this via OBDeleven - or is it a case of disconnecting the battery for a period and reconnecting?

I think I've embarrassingly gotten to the root of this problem.

I started snooping around today only to notice that the Canton AMP, under the passenger seat, had its fan on and was making the exact noise I was hearing.

Will need to check more later - if this is the case I'm very happy. 

So I don't think I'm out of the woods yet. I did not mention this to the other half whatsoever only for her to ask 'What is that noise?' when I had the radio muted. 

The fan wasn't going on the amp at the time - and she described it to me as what an open AUX sounds like on a stereo. Very analogue.

The mib helper site says that upgrading the firmware on my columbus I might need a dataset as I have an external amp - albeit OEM.

On OBDEleven byte11 is set to Sound_System_External_MOST - which I believe is the correct setting for the Canton.

Anyone any suggestions? Reckon I might need someone with ODIS to load a dataset? Thanks again for your time and help.