Kodiaq 2.0 boot and towing advice (Motability)

Hi all,

We currently have a 2012 Superb Hatchback and I am needing to move to a bigger/taller boot to accommodate a mobility scooter and lift, as well as the rest of life's necessities with 2 pre-teen children and a husband. We travel a lot and often fill the boot of our superb and a roof box without a scooter so I'm concerned about ensuring we have the boot space to accommodate using a scooter and lift whilst still having cases and luggage remaining in place.

We also have a trailer (hopefully soon to be a caravan!) so will require a trailer. 

Any images and advice would be greatly appreciated!

We love our Superb and would like to stay with a Skoda but it really depends on the above.

Thank you in advance!

Can't help you directly, but worth bearing in mind that order books for the new Mk2 have just opened, so unless Motability can still supply a Mk1 (no idea when you'd be ordering it...), no-one will yet have experience and/or photos of what you'll get.

However, the boot is supposedly bigger on the Mk2, so if someone comes along and says they can fit everything you're on about in their current Kodiaq, you should be good to go. That is if you can stomach the rather high prices Skoda are charging for the Mk2 - which I would expect (all things being equal) to carry through to the Motability scheme, at least to begin with (new model demand and all that).

I can't comment on the Mk2, nor the mobility scooter issue, but we regularly get my daughters wheelchair in the boot of our 5 seat Mk1 Kodiaq along with a lot of luggage for trips to family and holidays.  The wheelchair is an Invacare Action 3 self-propelled and the wheels go on one side of the boot strapped to the hook rails and the folded chair itself on the other, with the rear seats in their fully back position, leaving lots of room in the middle of the boot.  We also have a spare wheel under the boot floor which raises the boot floor a little, reducing boot space so the wheelchair parts sit into the below floor storage areas either side of the spare wheel.

Not sure if the above makes sense but I can probably get some photos for you if that would help?

Edited by skomaz

Does your scooter have to go in whole or does it come apart? Which model is it.

A hoist in the boot to lift a scooter takes up a significant amount of space.

We have a mobility scooter and are currently looking for a car that may replace it and apart from Ford smax and Citroen c4 grand space tourers, (Both no longer made) i can find nothing with a longer boot than a superb estate. (Distance to back seats when up)

Sister in law got a Peugeot 5008 with a hoist and it negated one of the seven seats and the distance to back seats (5 up) was smaller than the superb estate.

The mobility site has links to the Car database for showing Lengths and widths of boots which you can use to establish which cars will have the dimensions you want. The litres given in car guides is useless because sometimes a lot of the space is above when you really need it on the base with a scooter.

Edited by Stonekeeper

4 hours ago, Stonekeeper said:

i can find nothing with a longer boot than a superb estate. (Distance to back seats when up)

that's a very good point - I seem to recall that most of the supposed 'extra' boot space in a Kodiaq is vertical as the boot is in fact shorter than the Superb.

Also this website might help the OP as well as the Mobility one?

By make | RiDC

2 hours ago, skomaz said:

that's a very good point - I seem to recall that most of the supposed 'extra' boot space in a Kodiaq is vertical as the boot is in fact shorter than the Superb.

Also this website might help the OP as well as the Mobility one?

By make | RiDC

That is the site that motability link to

• Like 1

Kodiaq vs Superb: kodiaq with 5 seats (but a sub and spare wheel) feels deeper than the Superb, but not by much. It's allegedly 60l bigger... but I feel a bunch of that is going to be behind the bumper. The 18" rims from the Kodiaq (which are bigger than the Superb ones!) fit nicely in the boot, as the Superb's ones in the Superb, with similar amounts of space around them, but more on top in the Kodiaq.

Issue with the roof box on the kodiaq is the height of the roof for loading etc. Roof weight also only 75kg on Kodiaq vs 100kg on Superb, I believe.

Kodiaq also gets to move seats fore and aft to adjust space for gear vs people.

My Kodiaq also has a towing weight given of 2500kg, the Superb only 2000kg. Both 4x4... same engine. if you need FWD for more boot space, check the numbers work.