Airbag light

Barnabasz1a

Hi, I bought a cat c yeti for my daughter, 2012 2.0tdi 4x4 86000 miles and it runs a treat.

The only problem being the airbag light is on.

My code reader said it was the near side front seatbelt which I have now changed but when I clear the light it pings straight back on again. 

Is it that there is crash data on the srs control module,  if so how to remedy. 

Thanks for any help

1 hour ago, Barnabasz1a said:

My code reader said it was the near side front seatbelt which I have now changed but when I clear the light it pings straight back on again. 

Is it that there is crash data on the srs control module,  if so how to remedy.

Yes. The airbag light is referred to as a "latching fault light". This means that, once it comes on it will stay on until reset with VCDS, OBD II or a dealership computer.

Thank you for replying. 

As I said my OBD 11 finds the fault and I can delete the light with my reader but the code/light comes straight back leading me to think my OBD 11 can't remove the crash data ?

Does the seat belt need to be registered into the ECU with something like VCDS?

I don't think so, I wonder if the inside part ( the part the seat belt clips into) has a pretenioner as well

Posted (edited)
On 29/04/2024 at 15:56, Paws4Thot said:

Yes. The airbag light is referred to as a "latching fault light". This means that, once it comes on it will stay on until reset with VCDS, OBD II or a dealership computer.

You are talking about something else entirely and misleading the OP, they are asking about "crash data" not how to reset an airbag error code.

@Barnabasz1a

Had the airbags deployed during the accident the vehicle suffered?

If yes then there will be crash data registered and the module will either need replacing or sending away to have it removed.

You say that you have changed the seatbelt but did you replace the explosive pyrotechnic charge with one that had not been deployed?

What was the code and the description? The description on a decent system like VCDS would have been more than just "seatbelt", it might be a wiring or connector problem, the heat from the pyrotechnic can melt the loom connector.

Edited by J.R.

On 29/04/2024 at 20:58, Urrell said:

Does the seat belt need to be registered into the ECU with something like VCDS?

No.

45 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You are talking about something else entirely and misleading the OP, they are asking about "crash data" not how to reset an airbag error code.

@Barnabasz1a

If yes then there will be crash data registered and the module will either need replacing or sending away to have it removed.

You say that you have changed the seatbelt but did you replace the explosive pyrotechnic charge with one that had not been deployed?

What was the code and the description? The description on a decent system like VCDS would have been more than just "seatbelt", it might be a wiring or connector problem, the heat from the pyrotechnic can melt the loom connector.

20231231_122513.jpg

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

@Barnabasz1a

I don't think the airbags deployed. 

I seatbelt had a black cylinder which the loom plugged into.

I have uploaded an image of the code from my reader. 

Thank you for trying to help, I no nothing about electrics 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Barnabasz1a said:

I seatbelt had a black cylinder which the loom plugged into.

That is the spring which retracts the belt when the airbag is deployed, it too is pyrotechnic activation, did the loom connector look discoloured through heat?

It could be that the pretensioner you fitted is not compatible having a different resistance, was it the same part number?

All the time the fault remains you error code will return straight away after you delete it, you do not need to concern yourself with crash data, simply with getting the right resistance in the ignitor circuit, try measuring the resistance of the other known good pretensioner and comparing it to the one you have fitted and also the one you removed.

Edited by J.R.

Thanks again unfortunately the original belt went in the dustbin and I would have a clue how to measure resistance. 

Could it be the part that the seatbelt clips into.

Reassured to learn not to worry about crash data.

No the connector looked fine