Diesel in oil

I have a 2023 2.0 Octivia 34000miles,  a couple of weeks ago I got a yellow light saying excess oil contact workshop, The AA guy removed a litre of oil/ diesel and told me to get it in the dealership. Their response was to make longer journeys, I have had 2 other Skoda diesels with dpfs fitted and have never had any problems until above 100000 miles any ideas

• Sad 1

Welcome.

Yes you have a fault.

Are you contacting Skoda Assist to have your car collected and a Hire car delivered or are you taking it to the Dealership.

The AA guy could have arranged that. 

I have had my vehicle into Skoda Pulman Durham on the 9/5/24 the service representative told me to do longer journeys. 

8 hours ago, Lolabear1 said:

I have had my vehicle into Skoda Pulman Durham on the 9/5/24 the service representative told me to do longer journeys. 

What has too much oil got to do with doing longer journeys ! and how has the oil got to the stage of needing some removed ?

When was it last serviced and I would get hold of the garage and ask why did they put too much oil in 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, RADIOTWO said:

What has too much oil got to do with doing longer journeys ! and how has the oil got to the stage of needing some removed ?

When was it last serviced and I would get hold of the garage and ask why did they put too much oil in 

No one put too much oil, the OP state it's a mixture of oil & diesel due to DPF regens and short journeys.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lolabear1 said:

I have had 2 other Skoda diesels with dpfs fitted and have never had any problems until above 100000 miles any ideas

Were your previous diesels to euro6d emissions spec, or earlier specs.

Just because they had some form of DPF doesn't mean they have the same ones, or a much less tolerant emissions system.  Basically your new one is doing too many short journeys, can't get to the higher emissions spec without longer or more frequent DPF regens (which it is failing to complete) so the excess diesel from the incomplete regen has stayed in and ended up in the oil.

In simple terms if you do lots of short journeys, then to maintain the DPF to latest emissions standards need to be doing journeys of 20+ minutes once engine is thoroughly warmed through (so nearer 50 minutes, even if older emissions specs were nearer 30 mins to allow for DPF regen).  The actual time depends on engine load and ambient temperature.

• Like 2

I thought the EU6 engines with Add Poo were kinder to the DPF's and better tolerated shorter journeys, am I wrong?

Posted (edited)

Yes sadly you are.

There might be different WLTP figures and Adblue used but DPF,s still get choked, Warning lights show and they can stink doing regens.

(Before 30,000 miles & 2 years my 2016 2.0 TDI SCR DSG was just sipping Adblue and doing great mpg on runs, and 5 days or 5 miles of driving with cold starts was doing 25 mpg if that and the DPF light would come on.) 

But there is something far wrong with the 2023 TDI with 34,000 miles if there is diesel diluting the oil.

(That was the VW trick that they did at the NEDC, put diesel in the engine oil...at test facilities of their choice.) 

Edited by Ootohere

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

I thought the EU6 engines with Add Poo were kinder to the DPF's and better tolerated shorter journeys, am I wrong?

So did I, 

I am a bit confused with this matter, I have seen the coments "you have
to do more milage" 
I (we) have had Diesels for most of my driving life and admitting only
the last two were Euro6 but my wife who drives it on a daily basis 
only does seven miles to and seven back, and we do a couple of miles
to go into the local town, and have never had a problem with "Regen" or
Derv in the oil, only thing that would point me in the direction  of
regen is the Fan runs sometimes when we stop but that's all. 

• Like 1

The confusion seems to be over euro 6 (from 2015), euro 6d temp (from 2019) and euro 6d (from 2021).  

The earlier versions allowed more leeway and were easier to meet the emission standard.  The 2021 standard has smaller error margins and is based on real world (RDE) motoring, not a lab test.

So just because earlier versions tolerated a certain level of emissions, the latest ones throw a wobbly if it exceeds the higher standards.  

That is why those who say my older diesel was ok, are not explaining the regime of a 2023 car to the euro 6d RDE spec.

There are now 5 conditions, and tight margins

carbon monoxide, CO: 0.50g/km

Hydrocarbons and Nitrogen oxides HC + NOx: 0.17g/km

NOx: 0.08g/km

Particulate matter, PM: 0.005g/km

Particulate number, PN [#/km]: 6.0x10 ^11/km

In 13.5 months (1st July 2025) euro7 comes in, so expect engines to be switched to tougher standards in few months time.  The NOx drops to max 0.06

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

The confusion seems to be over euro 6 (from 2015), euro 6d temp (from 2019) and euro 6d (from 2021).  

The earlier versions allowed more leeway and were easier to meet the emission standard.  The 2021 standard has smaller error margins and is based on real world (RDE) motoring, not a lab test.

So just because earlier versions tolerated a certain level of emissions, the latest ones throw a wobbly if it exceeds the higher standards.  

That is why those who say my older diesel was ok, are not explaining the regime of a 2023 car to the euro 6d RDE spec.

There are now 5 conditions, and tight margins

carbon monoxide, CO: 0.50g/km

Hydrocarbons and Nitrogen oxides HC + NOx: 0.17g/km

NOx: 0.08g/km

Particulate matter, PM: 0.005g/km

Particulate number, PN [#/km]: 6.0x10 ^11/km

In 13.5 months (1st July 2025) euro7 comes in, so expect engines to be switched to tougher standards in few months time.  The NOx drops to max 0.06

But our current car is a 2021