Corroded and Pitted Disc

49 minutes ago, Richard9352 said:

They consider discs as a wear and tear item.

Well that at least is true.

Have you inspected them yet, have you driven it after giving it the good news?

Hi. Yes, I have driven it and the fierce braking has made a difference.

The grabing and steering shaking is still there but less.

I am not very mechanical minded but looking at the discs through the wheels, I can see no difference to what I would normally expect.

J R and others who have posted  have you read the initial post that stated that the brakes juddered when applied, this would not occur just with surface corrosion unless exceptionally bad more likely separation of the disks.

Rory I do appreciate that Small claims court proceedings are unlike a county court case but as you state a technical report may be requested for the claim, that would cost more to obtain from a consultant engineer than the cost of replacing the brakes at an independent and does not guarantee a good outcome.

Karock: not sure what separation of the disks means.

I would have thought that a technical report may not be necessary.

I am not disputing that the disks and pads have a problem, as diagnosed by Skoda.

What I think I am saying is that they should not be in that condition and need replacing according to Skoda after only 10 months and 6,000 miles.

@Richard9352  You say the car is 10 months old?   That is first registered 10 months ago i take it.

Do you know when it was built and then left the factory?

?

Did you get the car new & when did the Brakes become an issue?

It is not just 6 months for the T&C,s in the Warranty in Exclusions. It is 6 months / 6.500 miles.

But that is the wear and tear. Not if faulty manufacturing, materials etc.

But was the car OK at 6 months, 7 months, 8 months and 9 months? 

&Ootohere the car was purchased new on the 27th June 2023.

I can't really say for certain as to when this started.

It's always been a bit grabby at the end of slowing down but the steering wheel shaking and extra juddering was gradual over a number of months.

Certainly before the 6 months.

Skoda Uk say 6 months or 6,500 miles whichever comes first.

^^^ This is why owners of new cars should never delay in reporting issues and having them checked and any issue resolved.

Sadly now if the brakes need servicing or replacing of parts it is down to you, unless very lucky with the technician checking the car and supporting warranty work.

I would want to know that replacements are needed, and there was not just upselling going on. 

I've often wondered if auto hold has an effect on discs warping and judder.

Especially when used after coming from higher speed more aggressive stops.

Autohold is quite a light braking hold on all 4 discs unless movement is detected then more pressure / force is applied.

Coming to a stop and applying the hand brake or e-brake / parking brake might have more of an issue with rears only.

Or holding the foot on the brake pedal without Autohold enabled.

But then are you really driving that spirited to be roasting your brakes (getting them really hot) if not on a Great Driving Road and you are a heavy braker. 

Up and down straight roads the brakes are not getting so toasty are they? 

I say it's a very poor offer from Skoda at 10 months.

Either a poor dealer or Skoda have tightened the screw with this common problem.

My first 2017 Kodiaq got 2 sets of rear brakes.

After 1 year and again after 2 years at 23,000 miles.

My second 2020 Kodiaq got new rear brakes at 11 months, 11,000 miles.

Brakes were made of cheese.

My third Kodiaq seems to use a better quality disc. Still ok at 10,000 miles.

On 16/05/2024 at 11:23, Karock said:

J R and others who have posted  have you read the initial post that stated that the brakes juddered when applied, this would not occur just with surface corrosion unless exceptionally bad more likely separation of the disks.

@KarockYes indeed I read it but I totally disregarded it, for one it was the parole of a garage on the make, two on our planet brake discs do not rust to that degree in a few months (separation of the discs in a few months? You definitely inhabit a different planet), three I do not believe for one second the juddering is from rust or warped discs but from embedded friction material and the discs simply need deglazing as confirmed by:

On 16/05/2024 at 08:35, Richard9352 said:

Yes, I have driven it and the fierce braking has made a difference.

and:

On 16/05/2024 at 08:35, Richard9352 said:

looking at the discs through the wheels, I can see no difference to what I would normally expect.

@Richard9352 you need to repeat the process a few times and probably up the level of abuse exponentially, I appreciate that is very hard to do for someone who like me is very gentle on the brakes but that is what causes the build up in the first place.

As far back as 1982 when asbestos was removed from brake pads whenever I visited my father in Cornwall he would ask me to do my "magic" with the brakes on his new Polo again, the handbrake had a very course ratchet and he did not have the strength to pull it onto the 3rd click and it was not holding on hills, it wasn't on the 3rd click either and the brakes were always very poor but not a problem the way he drove and I now drive, I would take it for a 20 minute thrashing and return with the wheels smoking, park in gear with the handbrake off and the brakes would be superb the next day.

I bought a Seat Alhambra, all four discs were scored and ridged to hell, poor stopping power and the juddering would shake my fillings loose, it was appalling and undriveable but I had no choice, I had to get my tools and materials to a job site in London each day.

I was going to replace discs and pads on all 4 corners as soon as I was off the job 2 weeks later (was working every day) but each day during my commute driving like the knob head I was then the shuddering reduced, after a week it had gone and after 2 weeks all 4 discs looked like they had just been machined.

On 16/05/2024 at 11:52, Richard9352 said:

I am not disputing that the disks and pads have a problem, as diagnosed by Skoda.

You should be, they are on the make and trying to deny their responsabilities, carry on with the deglazing procedure and forget all about Small Claims Court etc unless you are up for pointless fight, you are not going to change your gentle braking and the problem will reoccur but you will then know how to mitigate it before it becomes a problem, I regularly do mine because I want the brakes to have their maximum efficiency the day I have to react to another head on with a high as a kite overtaker, the last 2 years have been OK as the brakes have been abused through very long overloaded towing journeys.

2 hours ago, BoxerBoy said:

I say it's a very poor offer from Skoda at 10 months.

Either a poor dealer or Skoda have tightened the screw with this common problem.

My first 2017 Kodiaq got 2 sets of rear brakes.

After 1 year and again after 2 years at 23,000 miles.

My second 2020 Kodiaq got new rear brakes at 11 months, 11,000 miles.

Brakes were made of cheese.

My third Kodiaq seems to use a better quality disc. Still ok at 10,000 miles.

I have always been saying that my brake discs dont suffer in the way that others do because of either they abuse they are subjected to towing or my preventative abuse, I replaced all 4 discs on the Yeti 4 years ago when I bought it as they were beyond redemption, I have one 55K miles and from the outside they look freshly machined, I changed the rear pads last night sooner than I would have expected although for me the rears are always the most worn, both inner pads were twice as worn as the outer ones and the RH kerb side (I drive in FRance) was in a right two and eight, a touch test when the pads were removed revealed light scoring and some lost of swept area through rust on the LH disc and the same but a lot worse on the RH side exposed to the puddles and rain gutters.

They definitely have not lasted as long as those on the 2 previous Octavias but due to the towing journeys I have not suffered the loss of braking efficiency and hence have not given it the maintenance "abuse" runs that they got, these new pads I am treating as sacrificial and expect to change the discs when  they wear out but in the meantime my "conditioning" regime has restarted, as its only the rears I am doing it through the handbrake mostly, it will be interesting to see if the ridging goes but it cannot put back material that has rusted away.

On 16/05/2024 at 10:52, Richard9352 said:

Karock: not sure what separation of the disks means.

The front disks are ventilated i.e two disks seperated by internal ribs, if the ribs corrode the disks can sometimes separate causing bumping in the brake pedal this could be what  the OP is complaing of.

7 minutes ago, Karock said:

The front disks are ventilated i.e two disks seperated by internal ribs, if the ribs corrode the disks can sometimes separate causing bumping in the brake pedal this could be what  the OP is complaing of.

Not in 10 months and 4900 miles on this planet.

Ventilated discs are not two discs, they are cast as one single piece, the ribs would take decades to corrode through even if left on a beach and washed by the salt water tide twice a day.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

They should take a long time.

I had front Discs to replace on the 2017 BMW 520 Diesel i drive had actually broken apart drivers side.

(My son told me he had the discs replaced after 3rd MOT. maybe rears because these fronts were gubbed.)

Screenshot 2024-05-18 17.58.26.jpg

Edited by Ootohere

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Not in 10 months and 4900 miles on this planet.

Ventilated discs are not two discs, they are cast as one single piece, the ribs would take decades to corrode through even if left on a beach and washed by the salt water tide twice a day.

I did not say that they were two disks,  If you know anything about brake disks you would know that separation of ventilated disks is a very common phenomenon.OK wise guy how do you explain the bumping on the brake pedal?

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

I have already explained it, less of the name calling would be appreciated thankyou.

I do know a little bit about brake discs actually, I also know a little bit about corrosion rates.

3 hours ago, Karock said:

I did not say that they were two disks,

6 hours ago, Karock said:

The front disks are ventilated i.e two disks seperated by internal ribs

Edited by J.R.
  • Like 1

Ok perhaps not the best description so how would an expert on brakes and corrosion describe the construction of a ventilated disk? And how do you explain the OPs vibrating brake pedal when the brakes are applied?

I have experenced several ventilated disks separating albeit on much higher performance cars than the Karoq it is a well known failure that causes bumping of the brake pedal due to the consequently  warped disk.

Thank you every one for your comments.

To say that I am totally disgusted with the Skoda attitude is puting it mildly.

I have gone to my local garage and they will fit new discs and pads.

They are considerably cheaper than Marshalls Skoda but I wouldn't have gone back to them even if it wasn't cheaper.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Karock said:

Ok perhaps not the best description so how would an expert on brakes and corrosion describe the construction of a ventilated disk? And how do you explain the OPs vibrating brake pedal when the brakes are applied?

Wise guy and now expert, you sure know how to flatter someone.

If you need someone to help you with your English I am not the person.

I have already explained the reason for the pedal vibration and the remedy which the OP has had some success with, its a shame they have not continued and are going to spend money needlessly but that is their choice.