Would you buy this Impreza?

Goochie

A colleague has found this Impreza for sale and seems very keen, http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/87323.htm Personally I wouldnt buy such a car with that mileage but it has had an engine rebuild so may well be a good runner.

I dont want to eask on ScoobyNet because the owner and his mates may well be on there.

His budget is £5k for a Scoobie Wagon and this seemed like a bargain - does anyone have anything to say to help me convince him that a high mileage Impreza isnt such a great idea?

Why isn't it a great idea? :P It's not had a rebuilt, but a full new STI-spec engine that's then been rebuilt with stronger parts to cope with the extra power. It's then been fully custom remapped. :D

Biggest thing to put him off would be to get some insurance quotes for it as it's got 1.5x the power of a standard UK one, then servicing costs and tyres :rofl:

Btw, is the only reason you're trying to put him off cos it might be quicker than the Z? :P:rofl:

Chris

Looks a good buy to me!

74k is nothing on a scooby - and the rebuild sounds like it was done purely for power reasons rather than anything else.

Insurance on it will be high with that level of mods but it'll be one hell of a beast!

a mat eof mine in glasgow has one that looks just the same as that one and his has done just shy of 130k and drives like new.....those things are bombproof!!

The only thing that would put me off is that they have advertised the fact that the dump valve is loud :D

Yeah, does generally shout "ATTENTION: This car has been driven by a ****, and driven very poorly at that. I.E Driving around in 1st gear "cruising" taking to the redlind and letting off...."

Yeah, does generally shout "ATTENTION: This car has been driven by a ****, and driven very poorly at that. I.E Driving around in 1st gear "cruising" taking to the redlind and letting off...."

With 300+bhp, I doubt he'd spend much time in 1st gear ;):rofl:

Chris

1997 R reg.

Phase 1.5? (New style interior but no underbonnet shots).

Dump valve! On a MAF based ECU, no ta. but easy enough to plumb in a recirc. then seel DV on ebay :)

£4200....

I think for the power and potential performance, little will touch it for the dosh.

If £4200 is cheap, it's still a fair wedge. I think I'd want a fair test drive and probably take someone Impreza proficient along to check it out.

I've heard of people taking performance cars for MOTs to prove there's no major issues but that's a little difficult these days with a decatted UK car. Maybe book it in at a local Subaru tuners for an inspection?

J.