Wikpiedia 1.4 8v MPI Fuel Consumption

Wikipeida has an article on the fabia 8v and claims

The 1.4 8v was dropped in 2003 as it will fail to meet future emissions requirements. Its performance is heavily hampered by its old OHV (Pushrod) design. The Fabias overall performance and fuel consumption figures fall behind other city cars and small family cars as it is larger and heavier

I was wondering how true this is - What fuel consumption people get .

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoda_Fabia

Wikipeida has an article on the fabia 8v and claims

The 1.4 8v was dropped in 2003 as it will fail to meet future emissions requirements. Its performance is heavily hampered by its old OHV (Pushrod) design. The Fabias overall performance and fuel consumption figures fall behind other city cars and small family cars as it is larger and heavier

I was wondering how true this is - What fuel consumption people get .

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skoda_Fabia

I wrote that, and yes, especially for the 1.4 8v the fuel economy is poor on a performance to fuel consumption ratio. When The Rover 25 Snuffed it The Fabia became the largest car in it's class until the introduction of the Grande Punto. The Fabia weighs quite a bit too, 1180KG for the 1.48v. Put this way, the 1.25 Engine in The Ford Fiesta manages to develop 75BHP and weighs alot less. Quite Frankly apart from the 1.2HTP and 1.4 16v 100BHP, all Petrol Fabia's are rather under-acheiving.

Oi!:mad: My 2.0l is very nice thankyou! :finger:

I Agree the 2.0 is a nice engine. However 115BHP from a 2.0 Engine isn't exactly efficient is it?. This isn't about performance, It's about fuel economy and performance, and obviously the 2 are heavily linked. The 1.4 8v is thirsty because it has to have it's throttle depressed heavily to move the car. The 2.0 Has more torque, but 115BHP still isn't particularly efficient.

Oi!:mad: My 2.0l is very nice thankyou! :finger:

But as standard , like a lot of normally aspirated VAG engines it doesn't compare all that well to the competition. Thats something I've seen in the past when looking at which car to buy.

115 bhp from a 2 litre engine is not all that impressive - ford for example get 145bhp from the same capacity.

Compare that to the 1.4 litre 100bhp 16v engine. It's a lot smaller and not far behind on power with better economy - a much better choice for a lot of people.

The 1.2 12v engine is another good one. Good performance for it's size and good economy.

The 75bhp version of the 1.4 though is pretty dire - no power and quite thirsty because you need to bury the throttle to get any performance.

It's fair comment to say that the petrol engines aren't always good.

I find that if drive my 1.4MPi REALLY CARFULLY i might get just under 31mpg. :grumpy:

But as it's a heavy car, and i live in a hilly area, I've always got my foot to floor!

I'll usually get around 27mpg most of the time :(

I think I should have got a TDi instead:goodvibe:

50mpg ave????

What makes your car so efficient

I have done this only once. It was from chinnor to banbury. about 34 miles of a roads and roundabouts. I was really trying to get a good average so I was very light footed. I still crused at about 60 ish though :)

Normally I drive "briskly" ;) and get about 35mpg average.

Let's look at it from another perspective:

the 8v produces 120NM at 2500RPM while the 16v produces 126NM at 4400RPM or 3800RPM(55kw one), this means that the 8v is and feels much more powerful than the 16v driven in the city. On the highway the 16v is faster, no doubt about it, but you have to go at very high RPM. But inner city the 16v will eat more, since you have to push it hard to get power out of it. The 8v is more diesel like.

the 12v produces 112NM which is low, from 3 cylinders. I'm not sure how much it will last.

Mine does about 33MPG mainly in the city (avg speed is 28km/h).

Driven outside the city I've managed 46-48MPG which you will find next to the diesels engines. If driven hard (140-160kmh) it will do a 39MPG which is not very bad. By hard I mean, hard for this engine (top speed 170kmh).

Looking at it from a reliability point of view:

the 8v is a proper skoda engine, chain timed (no tensioner, but double chain). It still has cylinders separated from the engine-block while in the VW engines the pistons travel on the block itself. From a techinal point of view this makes the components more precise -> oil consumption is low in this engine. The lack of a chain tensioner is a bug in IMO. Skoda thinks opposite (and with good reasons, the chain beeing very short), and they did not change it over 40years. Every chain gets a bit loose and rattles. Without a tensioner it can make horrible sound, but the replacement cost is low (10EUR a set). Anyway it does not need changing ... you do it when you cannot stand it any more :). On DOHC engines you need tensioners because the chain is very long. Although OHV it has hydraulic tappets, which mean maintenance free.

Another thing, this engine is very very strong, old conception, but it is known in the Czech Republic to do 500.000km easily.

the 16v still has plastic tensioners. It's common fault that those brake when least expected and the damage is almost equal with a total engine rebuilt. This engine's noise is loud! At start-up it's diesel like.

the 12v we do not know very much about, since they are relatively new. It has single chain (half the size of the 8v) but with hydraulic tensioners. I'm actualy quite curious of driving one myself, but what that torque it produces and the sound it has ... I think I will still love my 8v.

I don't think that pollution is the reason they took this engine out, there are EURO4 engines with 8v in Skoda (AZF, AQW). Cost-cutting and alligment of all brands (Seat,VW and Skoda) to the same engines. Skoda have put their engines only on Skodas and the 1.0MPI on Arosa and Lupo too. Nowadays there is no skoda engine any more. It is known that VW tries new things and sometimes it makes mistakes. For example the 1.8T, is almost out. The Polo GTI has it and the Octi 1 Tour. This was probably the best petrol engine they ever had. Now they replaced it with the FSI which we will see how it will behave.

Let's look at it from another perspective:

the 8v produces 120NM at 2500RPM while the 16v produces 126NM at 4400RPM or 3800RPM(55kw one)' date=' this means that the 8v is and feels much more powerful than the 16v driven in the city. On the highway the 16v is faster, no doubt about it, but you have to go at very high RPM. But inner city the 16v will eat more, since you have to push it hard to get power out of it. The 8v is more diesel like.

[/quote']

You are right about the torque the 8v engine produces, and i love mine for that. It isn`t that fast, but it pulls without problems from 1000 rpm in 5. gear, not that i normally do this, but still.

If i drive around 95 km/h, i get 17-18 km/l, and in the city i get 12-13. I have done several tanks where i only get 10km/l....i like to drive briskly. :rolleyes:

My only concern is the headgasket. :(

the 16v still has plastic tensioners. It's common fault that those brake when least expected and the damage is almost equal with a total engine rebuilt. This engine's noise is loud! At start-up it's diesel like.

I just had new tensioners (and cam-belt) fitted, cost as much as fitting a new set of cam-belt. I guess it is not as bad as engine rebuilt.

Just for comparison. My 1.4 16v does 30mpg in town, ~45mpg on motorway.

In All I have had my 8v for over a year and have only just last week swapped it for the Octavia, but it's still in the Family. I treated that engine quite bad and it never batted and eyelid. The power delivery is smooth and consistent, the low down torque is impressive and it's quiet and refined. I don't think I would like to "Compare" it to the 16v, I just think of them as being different engines for different driving styles. You can just slip it into 5th at 30mph and feather the throttle and get some good MPG. I think allways the real problem with this engine was the dead/heavily delayed throttle, which I guess comes down to emissions crap too:rolleyes: Sadly, It was frustratingly slow. It was just one of those engines that doesen't even apprear to be trying to move fast

I just had new tensioners (and cam-belt) fitted' date=' cost as much as fitting a new set of cam-belt. I guess it is not as bad as engine rebuilt.

[/quote']

I think you got it wrong. Because of that tensioner role brake, some guys, had the missfortune of bent valves, engine block crack or broke pistons.

Changing the cambelt is something else (normal procedure on every cambelt engine). A tensioner brake while driving is however a FAULT and it can lead to what I was telling. On the German Community forum there were quite a lot of incidents like that, sadly :(.

• 2 weeks later...

I tuck my fabia on a 200+ mile trip to the see-side today, on all kinds of different roads, left it in 4th wile driving on country lanes- not driving with my 'economy head' on. Managed an pretty impressive 46.1 MPG- best ever for me.

I just wish the bloody seats were better, i could hardly walk after!

My 8V has used not one drop of oil in the 14 months ive owned it , I think (flat spot due to emissions aside) its a cracking little engine , its not fast , but then it doesnt pretend to be , and Ive seen 53mpg on the trip computer after a run on curving a and b roads without much high speed running (Berwick to Lauder via Greenlaw) and 43 mpg with some 80 mph plus running on fast A roads (Berwick-Edinburgh on the A1) Around town I seem to get between 34 and 38 mpg , depending on how many tourist induced traffic jams I have to sit in! Touch wood I have had no head gasket problems with mine , and I quite like the fact that its a 'proper' Skoda engine that you can trace right back thru the rear engined cars!

I think the head gasket problems usually stem from a dodgy thermostat.

If your temp' gauge starts to do funny things, and you ignore it- your asking for trouble ;)

Cracking little engine really, it just doesn't like to laboured in to high a gear- loves to be revved up, lust like me :P