What on earth is going on with Skoda main dealers?

VRSPhil

Morning all,

I recently bought a mk1 octavia vRS WRC with the xenon lights. The lights seem to be pointing much to high and after some advice from the users on this forum I have established that they are adjusted via computer rather than manually on the headlight itself. Ok I thought, sounds more expensive than twiddling a screw but it needs doing so I phoned my local dealer. They didn't have a clue about it, the next four dealers I phoned told me I was wrong and that they were not self leveling at all. Finally I found a dealership who managed to explain in detail how they worked and agreed that it was a computer job. I am booked in there (F.R. Pulleyn ltd in york - thank you!) next week. What are the other dealers playing at? They just don't seem to have a clue and are not remotely interested. Serious thumbs down to skoda retail here :thumbdwn: :(

Sorry - rant over!

Phil

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think Skoda UK are to blame. I think it might be the dealers themselves, Skoda dealers used to be all run by small family businesses. But now they are being run by big groups where the customer isn't a Mr. Smith but is just invoice number 4756. Which is a shame.

I also think people such as yourselves who like the brand should try and help out the dealers as much as you can, stop buying off the internet. I know you save money, but if you be pleasent to deal with and explain that you'd rather buy off dealer than the internet, you can probably get within a few hundred quid.

I think you should support your local businesses, especially the smaller family run ones, as these are the ones I think you'll want to keep going.

EDIT: I also agree with Lummox.

Thats because the people you are talking to (reception staff etc) arent mechanics and have generally very little knowledge of cars in general.

Hence they shouldn't be giving advice then.

My local dealer wouldnt book my Fabia in for a service, because the indicator wasnt on the dash - and it would come on when due because my Fabia was on variable serviceing... :rolleyes:

Lummox - I agree with that point but to me that would suggest that perhaps they should think about improving the quality of their staff. With my previous brand and dealer the service staff were always very informed and were often sent on courses with the engineers.

But at the end of the day they don't need to be fully trained, the lady I spoke to who helped clearly didn't know about the system but she made it her business to find out ASAP and report back with an answer - I can't ask for more than that.

Not quite sure on the comment about supporting the dealers and not buying from the net. Personally I don't buy much from the internet but at the same time, we don't owe the dealers a living. If they supply a high quality product or service then they shouldn't need to worry about the competition in my oppinion.

Lummox - I agree with that point but to me that would suggest that perhaps they should think about improving the quality of their staff. With my previous brand and dealer the service staff were always very informed and were often sent on courses with the engineers.

But at the end of the day they don't need to be fully trained' date=' the lady I spoke to who helped clearly didn't know about the system but she made it her business to find out ASAP and report back with an answer - I can't ask for more than that.

Not quite sure on the comment about supporting the dealers and not buying from the net. Personally I don't buy much from the internet but at the same time, we don't owe the dealers a living. If they supply a high quality product or service then they shouldn't need to worry about the competition in my oppinion.[/quote']

May I ask what you do for a living?

I think you should support your local businesses, especially the smaller family run ones, as these are the ones I think[/i'] you'll want to keep going.

But if a local business is any good, ie people like the service and prices, then they will survive. Just because it's a local business, doesn't give them the right to expect to be given more money for exactly the same product. At the end of the day, if I can order a car from the comfort of my own home at 11pm on a Sunday for less than it would take me to take time off work, go to a dealer during opening hours and fight hard to drive their price down, then why would I want to use a local business?

The only way to survive is to offer better value for money than the internet dealers which may involve discounts off aftersales things like services, discounted performance upgrades, or rewards for recommending them to friends, etc.

For example, if I buy camera stuff, I will always take a trip to my local high-street Jessops where the staff are friendly, knowledgeable and helpful without pushing for a sale. They're not necessarily the cheapest, but I don't mind paying a bit extra as I feel they deserve my cash for the service.... If I go into my local PC World where the staff are not all of the above, and are pushing for me to buy something, then I'll likely just buy off the web and suffer the inconvenience of not having it there and then....

Chris

So what your saying is, you are quite happy to buy a car from the internet. But only after wasting the dealers time at the showroom, wasting their money on fuel, putting miles on their demos. Well that seems fair doesn't it. Is it no wonder that dealers are becoming less and less interested in their customers?

The point I'm trying to make, is when you are looking at what car to buy you are costing someone else. So why not repay them for the effort they have put in by purchaing a car from them?

However I can see your point, with regards to what you get for your money. I'm sure a full staffed Skoda dealership has more knowledge than a website advertising £2,000 a UK car, that actually isn't UK car but a Belgium car built to UK spec.

I'm not trying to start an arguement. I just get a little frustrated with customers who think dealers sell cars as a charity.

I agree. You wouldnt go getting a job in a bank if you couldnt add up for instance.

Suely if does help, whoever is taking these calls that they have some idea about what they are talking about. We dont expect them to be mechanics but a bit of common sense would do. For example if they dont know the answer they go find out not just try and guess!

Oc-quattro - I don't see the relevance of your comments. I was asking for a service which I would obviously pay for. I purchased the car from a Skoda dealer only 5 days ago. Quite where the internet comes into this I am not sure. As far as I am concerned I was asking a reasonable question and I was unable to get an answer (in some cases I was told in no uncertain terms that I was talking rubbish which clearly I wasn't).

With regards to Skoda UK not being to blame, I couldn't disagree more. Firstly the retailers are the face of Skoda UK and as such need to display a certain level of competence or even just good manors. If they fail to do this then it is a failing of Skoda UK in the eyes of the customer so should be dealt with by Skoda UK! Secondly, when Skoda was taken over they changed the dealership networks and eliminated a lot of the smaller family run dealers meaning the quality of the service was impaired by the short sighted actions of Skoda UK.

So what your saying is, you are quite happy to buy a car from the internet. But only after wasting the dealers time at the showroom, wasting their money on fuel, putting miles on their demos. Well that seems fair doesn't it. Is it no wonder that dealers are becoming less and less interested in their customers?

I don't remember saying that! :confused: What I'm saying is that a dealer's time costs money, plus wear and tear on the car, etc. If the dealer can come to a deal which is the internet price + a reasonable figure to cover their time and effort then I'd pay it. However, if a dealer has "attitude" and expects me to pay a few hundred quid more because that's the "best they can do" then I'll walk. I'm in the market for paying what I consider to be a reasonable price (based on research I've done), not to be ripped off because the business is not competitive in the market place :D

After saying all that, I'm unlikely to ever buy a new car anyway :rofl:

Chris

I don't remember saying that! :confused: What I'm saying is that a dealer's time costs money' date=' plus wear and tear on the car, etc. If the dealer can come to a deal which is the internet price + a reasonable figure to cover their time and effort then I'd pay it. However, if a dealer has "attitude" and expects me to pay a few hundred quid more because that's the "best they can do" then I'll walk. I'm in the market for paying what I consider to be a reasonable price (based on research I've done), not to be ripped off because the business is not competitive in the market place :D

After saying all that, I'm unlikely to ever buy a new car anyway :rofl:

Chris[/quote']

But what if "the best they can do", really is the best they can do? How do you know what they can safely give off each car?

Sorry if I am sounding rude. As for Phil I was just wanting to build a scenario with your living as the template. Your comment was reasonable, I just need to vent myself a little today!

But what if "the best they can do", really is the best they can do? How do you know what they can safely give off each car?

If they can't get reasonably close to the best price available to me, why should I give them my custom? I don't owe them anything. What they can safely give off a car is irrelevant to me as a customer!

Chris

I like to find a dealer I can get on with and then deal with them. Never bought something like a car from tinterwebnet, if it goes wrong I like to be able to talk to someone face to face.

Having said that, based on my experience with this car, my next one will not be a Skoda - I have lost faith in:

their sales people - they supplied a hatch instead of the estate I ordered

their mechanics - 1. They rotated the tyres as requested, shame they only did one side :rolleyes:

their mechanics - 2. Different dealer, fitted top mounts upside down, when I complained about the handling I was told "they all do that"

So, I won't have another one. I go to dealers regularly with my car being serviced about every 4 months and I buy new every 2-3 years. I am loyal to my dealers, right up tot he point where they **** up badly and upset me.

I have to say that the Skoda main dealer in Hamilton (Parks) has been less than helpful with regards to assisting myself with the felicia.

the parts staff are not interested, and the salesmen are just plain rude.

my parents were looking to spend approx £12000 on a new (to them) car

Ideally they were looking for Leather and Auto (mother has a bad back) and Diesel as they had heard only good reports about the Octavia TDI.

salesman says " Jesus, dont give me any more challenges"

dad turned on his heel and told him to get to france.

they spent a lot less on an Avensis instead, and got a new kitchen.

its almost like they dont want your money!

I like to find a dealer I can get on with and then deal with them. Never bought something like a car from tinterwebnet' date=' if it goes wrong I like to be able to talk to someone face to face.

Having said that, based on my experience with this car, my next one will not be a Skoda - I have lost faith in:

their sales people - they supplied a hatch instead of the estate I ordered

their mechanics - 1. They rotated the tyres as requested, shame they only did one side :rolleyes:

their mechanics - 2. Different dealer, fitted top mounts upside down, when I complained about the handling I was told "they all do that"

So, I won't have another one. I go to dealers regularly with my car being serviced about every 4 months and I buy new every 2-3 years. I am loyal to my dealers, right up tot he point where they **** up badly and upset me.[/quote']

I have to admit that is extremely poor.

Although I think it is important to make clear that you haven't lost faith in the Skoda car, but more quality of the service you received from X dealership, was X dealership by any chance a large group franchise?

The reason cars can be sold over the internet at such low cost is that the internet companies sell the cars at zero profit, or a slight loss - the way the money is made is through the bonus that car manufactures give for bulk sales.

When you have a car to sell you have the RRP OTR set by the dealer. You then have a unit one bonus (or called other things) and a margin in the car. Theoretically you can buy a car from the dealer at the same price as the internet companies, so long as a dealer is happy to chuck in all the available money. After selling a set number of cars the dealer gets a nice big bonus, which is what the internet companies live off.

Cheaper cars from the internet = less sales funds for dealers = higher service charges = less customers = less dealers = less experianced staff to deal with you.

Its kind of a vicous circle.

What is also worth pointing out is that people go to their dealers to test drive the cars that they then buy on the internet

IE - WASTING DEALERS TIME AND RESOURCES! Add that in to the vicous cycle

i have to say the recent take over from our local skoda outlet has really annoyed me, and i think Emily can agree with me on this one that they are just plain rude.

They are not easy to approach at all and the fact they own both of the skoda outlets in cornwall, their cars are at stupidly high prices

...i dont feel comfortable talking to them anymore on getting a quote for a car or even going in to have a look because of the way they just dont make you feel special.

Back on topic about them not knowing about the parts i feel that just on my own i know just that more than most of the dealers that are currently there i asked to have a look at the cd changer in the fabia and they didnt even know where it was!!:confused: and thats only one thing out of many that i was shocked about. i really do miss the family ran buisness it was welcoming friendly and easy to have a conversation with someone. i dont have as much respect for them these days, why should i if there going to pull the wool over my eyes and give me information thats completly false?

Edit - but tbh if skoda uk are saying they have to be nicer i dont want a false smile because i know that they really dont mean it.i want a proper sincire person to greet at the showroom so sort it out:(

i have to say the recent take over from our local skoda outlet has really annoyed me, and i think Emily can agree with me on this one that they are just plain rude.

I agree!! I was most displeased about the service we got there.

This is what I hated about the motor industry - there is this steriotype of what car sales men have to be and they don't do anything to change it. Walking into a car showroom can be intimaidating - there are several blokes who want to sell you a car, not really careing if it is the right one for you. People also worry if they are getting a good deal or not, and are being taken for fools.

No wonder people want to buy from the comforts of their own home rather than go to a dealer.

Edit - but tbh if skoda uk are saying they have to be nicer i dont want a false smile because i know that they really dont mean it.i want a proper sincire person to greet at the showroom so sort it out:(

Like John at SMC Skoda in Exeter. Absolutely top guy - likes the product, understands it. Good knowledge of the industry - BUY CARS FROM THIS MAN!

Like John at SMC Skoda in Exeter. Absolutely top guy - likes the product, understands it. Good knowledge of the industry - BUY CARS FROM THIS MAN!