Flickering dash and headlights

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know exactly what causes it too. Its the power being demanded / used by the PAS pump oscillating due to the dodgy sensor. Have steering going very light, very heavy, then eventually PAS kind of dies and the flickering stops. Must be mildly amusing for traffic I'm following at night wondering why my car's lights are like a disco. :D

Would rather have working PAS all the time though.

Jason, try and do something about it the next week and a bit. I dont want to get to germany on Saturday and see your car on the back of an ADAC breakdown wagon.

Well, a scan of fault codes has definitely highlighted the PAS sensor as being in need of replacement (intermittent fault) and indeed the lights dimming coincides with the steering going light as if the steering system is sucking up juice, and once the PAS goes into limp mode, the lights stop flickering and it remains fine.

Manny - would like to get a new sensor fitted a.s.a.p, but they're on backlog. This issue is not going to be a problem, but if there's doubt over the voltage of the battery, I'll bring along some jump leads as well as the usual gear. :) Having no PAS will not affect it on track, as I don't even realise its gone when at speed. ;)

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I know exactly what causes it too. Its the power being demanded / used by the PAS pump oscillating due to the dodgy sensor. Have steering going very light' date=' very heavy, then eventually PAS kind of dies and the flickering stops. Must be mildly amusing for traffic I'm following at night wondering why my car's lights are like a disco. :D

Would rather have working PAS all the time though.[/quote']

I have the exact disco headlights problem on my 1.4 16v. Yeah, I could live without PAS, but the steering go light at speed isn't cool. Does yours rev counter bounce up and down, and the car shake synchronous with the flickering?

I replaced the temperature sensor, but it won't cure it. Will try to replace PAS sensor next, then a new battery.

I have the exact disco headlights problem on my 1.4 16v. Yeah' date=' I could live without PAS, but the steering go light at speed isn't cool. Does yours rev counter bounce up and down, and the car shake synchronous with the flickering?

[/quote']

Nope - everything is fine apart from the lights. Rev counter and general engine management / running is spot on.

I have the exact disco headlights problem on my 1.4 16v. Yeah' date=' I could live without PAS, but the steering go light at speed isn't cool. Does yours rev counter bounce up and down, and the car shake synchronous with the flickering?

I replaced the temperature sensor, but it won't cure it. Will try to replace PAS sensor next, then a new battery.[/quote']

The revs will bounce up and down if the battery has been flat and/or if the voltage is getting low.

just to say i took my fabia 1.4 petrol into newton abbot skoda about flickering headlights and they said is very common problem . They tested charging circuit everything ok including battery and alternator, said like previous posts that steering has big demand from battery and best to live with it!

its not very safe on the road tho when the p/s kicks out.... you loose the control round the bend and at high speeds you need to adjust quick - result to accidents ...either have it on or off!! lol dont break yourself!:P

• 1 year later...

I've had a quick search on the dash flickering put this morning when I was defrosting the car I noticed my interior light was flickering, thought nothing of it, but jumped in the car, stuck the headlights and gave the windscreen a quick wipe with the wipers and the dashboard green light that lights the speedo and rev counter went off and on, not done it since any ideas?

Davy

Hi. I've no idea, but noticed my PAS light (and power steering lost) for a moment or two (switch off, switch on after a minute) when temp below zero. Maybe can't draw enough from battery which is trying hard already to keep other bits going? :ne_nau: I've a 1.4 which doesn't seem to be ace at managing power requirements for PAS and AC, so probs not relevant (except for switching AC off). On mine, it's deffo worth making sure the battery has a good charge.

Please treat as a bump :)

Mo

• 5 months later...

Your car has a 45-65 ah hour battery depending on model/engine. That means the battery can supply 45-65 amps for one hour without the alternator charging. Forgetting the alternator for the moment when you consider the PAS pump can draw 60 amps at full load that doesnt leave a lot of capacity for anything else let alone lights and blower motors etc.