gearbox whine on skoda fabia vrs

hi there, need some advice really, i have a 05 plate fabia vrs 1.9 pd130, i have now done just over 20k and for the last few thousand miles my gearbox has developed a whining noise. the most notice whine i can hear is in 2nd gear and accelerating through the revs and not changing for a awhile, then change to 3rd and the noise stops, the noise is always there but sometimes more intermittantly worse times than others. i find when the car is warm and the outiside temp is warm i can get the noise to go louder. i wondering could it be the bearings in the box. also i get a gearbox/diff noise on overrun when slowing down in 3rd and 4th , my car has been examined by skoda techical and will be having the gearbox out of my car week after next , they are going to inspect for any wear or abnormalities in the box, just wondering from reading on here if anyone has the same problems and if anything has ever been done to fix this problem. it may be characteristics of the vw box across the range?:confused: i don't know?. any advice will be good. :)

I have never heard of this one before:confused:

I know that the gearbox is used in several VAG cars and if it were a common fault we would have heard about it from the myriad of armchair experts we have on here.

I hope that yours is a one off problem and is sorted out under warranty.

I feel poo this morning btw, and I know my problem isn't a one off one:D

I have just bought an 06 reg vrs with 4500 miles, i have noticed a growl in fourth gear when i floor it. It dissappears at about 70 mph in fourth, no other gear does it. CAnt be the exhaust as it would do it in all gears wouldnt it?

anyone had same or suggest why?

I had a new gearbox in mine at 40k, and a new mounting frame and driveshafts, (done under warrenty by skoda) but it wasn't because of whine, or wear in the box, it came off its mountings and killed itself, and its driveshafts! (according to skoda, only two of the four mounting bolts were still there! new one is still going strong thought :) (thanx Skoda) ;)

• 2 weeks later...

just a update to my original thread. my car has been with my local dealer for 3 days now and skoda technical have inspected gearbox. they have found a fault with the 2nd gear bearing in my box and it has caused further complications within the box. skoda are now in the process of overhauling box and replacing the damaged parts. my friend also has a fabia vrs on a 53 plate and his makes the same noise as mine did, in 2nd a loud whistle/whine can be heard. maybe a bit too much pressure from the torque on the box. he will be contacting skoda as well. so it appears this is a fault as such and we should all be aware of it.:thumbup:

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

It has had the box rebuilt , at the request of Skoda tech, by the dealer.

I returned to the UK today expecting to pick it up to be told that the box needed to be replaced (again), as it was still noisey, and it would be a while longer!

The guys at my dealers (Pulleyn's York) know their stuff and it is amazing to me that they could not rebuild the unit to a satisfactory standard.

In my experience as an engineer dealing with foreign companies such as VW, DC, MAN etc. the information regarding the tech side is just not communicated - as perhaps it would be taken as an admision of a quality/design imperfection? as we all know the Fatherland never fekk up...........

• 3 weeks later...

I've heard some strange noises. I don't know what i'm listening out for but when I read that people had heard a "howling" noise it got me thinking.

I can hear the turbo whistling away when I put my foot down but just as it reaches full boost it sounds like a howling noise. Best way to describe it would be the sound of wind howling down a street on a really windy day! Is it meant to sound like this as this is my first derv.

Could it possibly be air escaping from somewhere?

• 2 months later...

When I test drove one I thought the gearbox was pretty damn slick.

But its true VAG don't make the strongest gearboxes in the industry! Take a look at the 6n2 polo gti! Needed a new gearbox every 40k those things!

I'd get it checked out mate

• 1 year later...
hi there, need some advice really, i have a 05 plate fabia vrs 1.9 pd130, i have now done just over 20k and for the last few thousand miles my gearbox has developed a whining noise. the most notice whine i can hear is in 2nd gear and accelerating through the revs and not changing for a awhile, then change to 3rd and the noise stops, the noise is always there but sometimes more intermittantly worse times than others. i find when the car is warm and the outiside temp is warm i can get the noise to go louder. i wondering could it be the bearings in the box. also i get a gearbox/diff noise on overrun when slowing down in 3rd and 4th , my car has been examined by skoda techical and will be having the gearbox out of my car week after next , they are going to inspect for any wear or abnormalities in the box, just wondering from reading on here if anyone has the same problems and if anything has ever been done to fix this problem. it may be characteristics of the vw box across the range?:confused: i don't know?. any advice will be good. :)

Hello,

Ever since from new my Fabia VRS June 2005 has given a whine, which could be compared to the old Mini's that I used to drive.

Skoda dealer mechanic said if necessary they would change the first motion shaft bearing, but was a charactistic of the model. Now some three and a half years it has not worsened but is still limited to low gears at low speeds. The mileage is about 38,000 miles now covered.

Suggest trying out a used Fabia, perhaps from the dealers forecourt to compare.