Gearbox rattle - VRS Recall

P-A

Over the last couple of weeks I've noticed a rattle that occurs when travelling at low speed over un-even surfaces. I popped the car into the dealer this morning and they stated that the noise was being caused by a couple of surfaces (the gearbox being one of them). touching. The Skoda fix is to fill the gap with grease. Has anyone else come across this? Apparently it's a known fault specifically with VRSs.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry no it's not the lever. I'm not very good when it comes to mechical stuff(!), but apparently it's due to how the gearbox is positioned in the VRS (problem only affects the VRS). When you drive over a rough surface the gearbox (or a part of it) bangs against something else causing a knocking noise.

Yep you are right -

This intermittent knocking noise is created by a slight movement between the gearbox mount and console.

Solution is to apply approximately 2 grams of silicon grease between the gearbox mount and console and spread evenly with a brush.

Yep you are right -

This intermittent knocking noise is created by a slight movement between the gearbox mount and console.

Solution is to apply approximately 2 grams of silicon grease between the gearbox mount and console and spread evenly with a brush.

Could you please specify what kind of that silicon grease did you use??? We are fighting with this problem in CZ too, but the only solution that helped, was the replacement of the gearbox mount and to fill the new one up with windscreen glue - this makes the mount a bit harder and doesn

10809.attach

I'll ask the dealer what it is. You could try calling Skoda because they are aware of the fault. I did ask how long it would last, and was told indefinitly. I guess I'll have to wait and see...

I'll ask the dealer what it is. You could try calling Skoda because they are aware of the fault. I did ask how long it would last, and was told indefinitly. I guess I'll have to wait and see...

Thanks mate! :) Guys from Czech Skoda say there are not aware of such bug at vRS... I was at factory service shop at Mlada Boleslav and all they did during 7 days was the replacing of that mount. Now, after 5k km the rattle is back...:finger:

edit: it´s a shame that me who´s living in country where Skoda is made has to solve such things with people from abroad but it seems you´re getting different and better feedback from UK Skoda and its dealers... :(

Noticed this morning that whilst testing my car the dealer has kerbed one of the alloys. It's only a very small mark but annoying non the less. I've lost count of the number of times my cars have been damaged whilst in the 'care' of dealers.

Hi guys, Was up early this morning and read the thread on the "gearbox rattle" on the fabia vrs. Ive had this rattle (knock) for 2 years now ..driven me mad checking every thing,bushes,exhaust,heat shield,etc...had it serviced twice and the dealer could,nt find anything wrong. after reading the "fix" using silicon grease i took a drive to the dealer in fareham and told him what i had read! seems they dont aprove of info on Briskoda!...but guess what? after the grease up,and driving home on the bumpiest roads i could find its fixed! quietest its been in 2 years...cheers guys.

Hi guys, Was up early this morning and read the thread on the "gearbox rattle" on the fabia vrs. Ive had this rattle (knock) for 2 years now ..driven me mad checking every thing,bushes,exhaust,heat shield,etc...had it serviced twice and the dealer could,nt find anything wrong. after reading the "fix" using silicon grease i took a drive to the dealer in fareham and told him what i had read! seems they dont aprove of info on Briskoda!...but guess what? after the grease up,and driving home on the bumpiest roads i could find its fixed! quietest its been in 2 years...cheers guys.

That just goes to show the value of these forums. However it's sad that we have to tell the dealers how to fix problems that they should know about!

i took a drive to the dealer in fareham and told him what i had read! seems they dont aprove of info on Briskoda!

:rofl: :rofl:

Who told you that, the woman on the service desk or Steve the Master Tech?

They will be taking my car on Friday as a PX, complete with Briskoda stickers!!

That just goes to show the value of these forums. However it's sad that we have to tell the dealers how to fix problems that they should know about!

It does so come on gents get your wallets out and pay your £12 for freedom membership and support it.