Gearbox rattle - VRS Recall

P-A

Once again thanks to all of you guys, especially to Stu! Just received the email regarding the grease from my dealer. He found out this is intended originally for VW and it is a small tuba or bag. Price app 9.05 (372CZK) GBP incl VAT. Have ordered it and gonna to grease that f*cking mount next week. :)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There was an issue with gear lever rattle on the Fabia vRS which was fixed by fitting a revised cable set. Yours both seem to be later cars and shouldn't be affected but it may be worth asking.

There was an issue with gear lever rattle on the Fabia vRS which was fixed by fitting a revised cable set. Yours both seem to be later cars and shouldn't be affected but it may be worth asking.

mine had the lever rattle aswell - was fixed by the dealer...was checking oil etc the other day noticed that I now have a zip tie holding one of the cables up! - revised cable set ....rofl

Well I'm now back from the dealer and can report that the problem appears to have been fixed. I've not been for a long enough drive to be sure but so far so good.

However I was less than impressed with the dealer. After being told that the job would take 30 minutes, they had me waiting an hour and a half. I was not happy.

i think it works by lubing the area the mount touches , so allowing it to slip slightly when the mount moves back and forth , therefore stops the knock which occurs when no grease there , just done mine this afternoon , is a bit of a pain and ideally to do a proper job the battery box and airfilter box needs to come out , i just about managed to do it with just the airfilter box out , bit of a struggle though , will report back if cured

Perhaps there is another Technical Service Bulletin (TSB).

People tend to use the word recall rather loosely and it's not always the case. A recall is where the manufacturer has to notify VOSA and inform all owners of the problem, not something they take lightly nor do if they can help it.

I had this problem a few months back and the dealer did a lot of liasing with Skoda Technical (thingy-ma-jig), they came back with this TSB and said it had only just been put together.

I've covered about 4,000 miles since having the fix applied and all is still OK!

Ps. I would have described the noise as an intermittant knocking sound from somewhere on the passenger side when going over bumpy roads/potholes/etc.

Hiya boys, just spoke to one my friend that has 03 VRs too. This wk-end he applied the grease (a bit different than recommended from Skoda - some kind of lithium heat resistant vaseline) into the mount and after 400km everything is ok - no knocking noise anymore. He also inserted a piece of rubber with textile into the mount - cause found out the mount was touching the console (steel against steel) in one location.

I will attach the picture later today ;)

Bad news :( After around 500 miles the noise has returned and is exactly the same as before. I'm off on holiday in a couple of days so will be getting this looked at on my return. I'll also be trying a different dealer...

Bad news :( After around 500 miles the noise has returned and is exactly the same as before. I'm off on holiday in a couple of days so will be getting this looked at on my return. I'll also be trying a different dealer...

Oh mate :( Did you personally supervise the mechanic when he did the job? Do you know what qty of the grease he used? Maybe not enough...

I'm sure he used the right stuff - it was ordered from Skoda and he apparently followed the instructions. However he did take 1 hour 30 mins to do what is apparently a 30 minute job! The car needs a service in 2,000 miles so I'll get it looked at again then.

• 2 weeks later...