Touch Up Paint Query

Paul1.9L&KOct

Yesterday, I picked up a black magic touch up paint set for my car from the local Skoda garage

In the box are two paint bottles, one black paint (I'm guessing) and one er... I'm not sure what the other one is! :o

Does anyone know what it is, and more importantly, how to use them correctly. There are no instructions on the packaging and I don't wanna balls it up!

Anyone done this before?

The other is the laquer which must be applied after the paint. Don't use the brush you get in the tube, use a cocktail stick to apply the paint / laq to the chip. You can build it up in layers with a light polish after to level the paint.

I've got one for my Corrida red Fabia.

It's still in the packet 'cos I'm scared to use it.

The clear one is clearcoat I presume, but there is a scary bristly thing in the top of the red pot.

Methinks it will stay in the boot!

Same with me, found it in the glove box when i bought the car to scared to use it incase i make a balls up.

The wire brushy thingy must be for roughing up and cleaning the surface before painting. ???????

If anyone give its a go let me know how you get on, might give the cocktail stick method a go if i dont hear anything.

Same with me' date=' found it in the glove box when i bought the car to scared to use it incase i make a balls up.

The wire brushy thingy must be for roughing up and cleaning the surface before painting. ???????

If anyone give its a go let me know how you get on, might give the cocktail stick method a go if i dont hear anything.[/quote']

This link http://www.clean-image.co.uk/articles/stone-chips.htm will give you more than enough info on how to make really good job of stone chip repairs.... Small amount of paint, plenty of laquer.... in layers, so you fill the chip so it is just above the surface of the normal paint.

After it has dried for 24hrs, I then use a 1500 grit wet and dry folded to a small point to sand level to the surface of the rest of the paint.... touch of T Cut or Maguires number 1 to get a mirror finish to where the chip once was :thumbup::D

Edit.... Don't use the wire thing unless you are roughing up a large area, use a needle to clean out wax etc from the sides of the stone chip.... this must come out if the paint is to bed in correctly!!

• 2 weeks later...
Don't use the brush you get in the tube, use a cocktail stick to apply the paint / laq to the chip.

Agreed - the supplied brush is far too big. I use the smallest "model making" brush eg Humbrol Heller "Senator", size OO