Octavia 1.8T Newcomer

petermed

The fwd 1.8T (not vRS which has more power) has all the advantages of a FWD car, where the 4x4 it mixed bag, the four wheel drive system is not permanent and only comes into force when the front wheels lose grip. They are also higher up and just as useless as a fwd when it comes to playing with land rovers. For more detail i'm sure the resident 4x4 drivers will tell you more and even put me right on a few things.

Welcome to briskoda by the way :smileyrai

If you don't want to chip it, or drive through grassy or muddy fields, the FWD 1.8T is fine and cheaper to run.

I find I'm comfortable with the 4x4 because I hate traction control and it will allow me - as a terrible driver - to do some steady, ultra-fast cornering without understeering off. And I do go off-road with it some of the time, although my lowering the rideheight has limited my selection of mud excursions somewhat.

The fact that the system isn't permanent is fine with me, as it will save fuel and give less power losses through the drivetrain when 4WD isn't needed.

And welcome!

Can't see me doing much off roading in it unless the East Lancs gets too bad! Guess I've made the right move for now then. Now to convince the Missus that the VRS is more economical than the 1.8T.....

If you don't want to chip it' date=' or drive through grassy or muddy fields, the FWD 1.8T is fine and cheaper to run.

I find I'm comfortable with the 4x4 because I hate traction control and it will allow me - as a terrible driver - to do some steady, ultra-fast cornering without understeering off. And I do go off-road with it some of the time, although my lowering the rideheight has limited my selection of mud excursions somewhat.

The fact that the system isn't permanent is fine with me, as it will save fuel and give less power losses through the drivetrain when 4WD isn't needed.

And welcome![/quote']

Seconded! Plus the stealth option of a being the fastest car on the road, with a vehicle with a ride height that most tanks would be proud of!

Oh, and welcome :D

that's true, i can walk under the 4x4 without having to duck, the ride hight is so high!!!! (but i am only 4 inches high)
You obviously haven't been anywhere near an Octavia vRS because if you had, you would know that you could walk under that too without ducking! :rofl:

AFter heaps of Subarus's (Mainly Legacys im afraid) and having driven a

Volvo xc90 for a year i just bought a Octy 1.8t 4 x 4 Estate.....FUN....never had so much on 4 wheels.....ALMOST as good as the Kawa 650 for leaving a mega grin on my face ....actually enjoying the trip to work inthe morning and taking the back roads just for the helluvit !! I know that doesnt answer yr question...the 4 x 4 seems to have heaps of electronic aids ( EDL , ABS chucked in ) and ive taken it thru the muddy field beside our barn and it handles the sticky stuff as good as the Legacys....BARGAIN and GREAT FUN

cheers

Crawf

Bennachie 4 x 4

...and ive taken it thru the muddy field beside our barn and it handles the sticky stuff as good as the Legacys....BARGAIN and GREAT FUN

cheers

Crawf

Good to hear that at least own 4X4 owner has been where vRS owners would fear to put their tread. But a word of advice from one of the 'older' members, Crawf - do not mention sheep and the 4X4 in the same forum let alone post.... :nono:

PS Keep on spreading the good word about the 4X4. :)

PPS And I can thoroughly recommend a trip to Jabba for a liitle more oooph as advertised below. :D

Good to hear that at least own 4X4 owner has been where vRS owners would fear to put their tread. :D

Yes Denis , but that is just one person ................when was the last time you went off road then Denis ?..................probably when you last mounted the kerb ;)

• 2 years later...

LOL. good convo lads. I got a vrs on a 53 that scrapes its way ova speed humps cza the kw coilovers, and understeers like a bitch cza the 250 bhp. but hell man I luv drivin off road so I use my 3.5l pajero with a 3 inch pump up. gr8 fun but glad to c ur praisin the skodi mate. I luv em both.

Horses for courses.

Regards

Sly.

i didn't buy my 4x4 for its off road prowess but for the future of putting more power into it and being able to happily use that power :)

mine gets maunched every now and then just to shock some people and give me a giggle. after turning my 4x4 off for an evning and going for a drive i was amazed at how often it came in and how much more useable the car is for it!!

The fwd 1.8T (not vRS which has more power) has all the advantages of a FWD car, where the 4x4 it mixed bag, the four wheel drive system is not permanent and only comes into force when the front wheels lose grip. They are also higher up and just as useless as a fwd when it comes to playing with land rovers. For more detail i'm sure the resident 4x4 drivers will tell you more and even put me right on a few things.

Welcome to briskoda by the way :smileyrai

Petermed, welcome to Briskoda ! :thumbup:

Roo, don't mix things up: Land Rover plays in other league!

And, to be precise, Octavia 1 4x4 has the distribution front-rear axle 95-5% and Octavia 2 4x4 90-10%. The Haldex system is a kind of permanent though...

As someone said before, you have got a lot of car by buying it... :rolleyes: