Colour Matching Sidelights with Xenons

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spose the indicator could be changed to silver vision as well...

Changed mine to Philips Silver Vision (front indicators). Looks great. Done the same on the back lights. Philips Silver Vision are offset pin, the same as in Octy. No more "friden egg" effect from front and back lights. Just ordered some more from Ebay as spare ones.

Changed mine to Philips Silver Vision (front indicators). Looks great. Done the same on the back lights. Philips Silver Vision are offset pin, the same as in Octy. No more "friden egg" effect from front and back lights. Just ordered some more from Ebay as spare ones.

What bulb is it in the indicators?

Will an LED work do you think, at least these won't be affected by the indicator. Spose the indicator could be changed to silver vision as well...

I think its a case the indicators need to be changed, btw have you checked your side lights ??? are the std ones blue ?

bosnjo,

Who do you for ebay ones and are they much cheaper ?

Just changed mine. Looks pretty good.:thumbup:

I used the same bulbs as GAFF. See Piccy.

Hedge has yours Xenons Std ? If so what colour were the Std sidelight bulbs ?

Any chance you could post a picture with ALL the new bulbs in (Interested to see what the indicator ones look like). Maybe when off during the day and at night with them on...thats if ya don't mind.

Btw Where did you buy the bulbs ?

I tried led sidelight bulbs, and they didnt illuminate at all. :( So it seems bulbs ith resistors are required. Any clues?

Led bulbs have to match "+" and "-" so if they don't work one way, you just have to turn them arround. They should work but not sure if they'll give "bulb failura" warning in Maxidot because of no enough resistance.

Led bulbs have to match "+" and "-" so if they don't work one way, you just have to turn them arround. They should work but not sure if they'll give "bulb failura" warning in Maxidot because of no enough resistance.

I tried that, but they just didnt work. Not enough resistance maybe?

Hedge has yours Xenons Std ? If so what colour were the Std sidelight bulbs ?

Any chance you could post a picture with ALL the new bulbs in (Interested to see what the indicator ones look like). Maybe when off during the day and at night with them on...thats if ya don't mind.

Btw Where did you buy the bulbs ?

Lets see if I have met your requirements here:-

Yes it does have xenons as std. The std sidelight bulbs were a cloudy blueish colour.

1st one is just the new sidelights.

2nd one is with all lights off.

3rd one is with main beam on (and cat of course)

If you have anything specific you want to see then let me know.

It was a right pain to change the sidelight bulbs and also to get the nearside headlight out. Haning sausagefingers probably doesn't help.:)

11554.attach

11555.attach

11556.attach

Lets see if I have met your requirements here:-

Yes it does have xenons as std. The std sidelight bulbs were a cloudy blueish colour.

1st one is just the new sidelights.

2nd one is with all lights off.

3rd one is with main beam on (and cat of course)

If you have anything specific you want to see then let me know.

It was a right pain to change the sidelight bulbs and also to get the nearside headlight out. Haning sausagefingers probably doesn't help.:)

:thumbup:

Any chance of one of the headlamp during the day and one at night BOTH with side light and dip lights on (does 1 above have std indicators, I wanted to see them with new ones installed ;) ).

Sorry to be a pain in ar8e :),

Btw itsn't there a hugh glaze effect off the headlamps...see pic 3 (I also noticed it on mine), its as if you shining through a prism.

All pics above have the replacement bulbs.

I have a day one with all lights on. See 1st attached.

2nd is just new sides

3rd is sides and headlights

4th is all lights.

From the front all lights is just too bright. The mainbeams are supposed to be 50%brighter!:eek:

Sorry the camera and operator aren't really upto scratch. :P

11557.attach

11558.attach

11559.attach

11560.attach

Btw itsn't there a hugh glaze effect off the headlamps...see pic 3 (I also noticed it on mine), its as if you shining through a prism.

I have also noticed driving at night and pulling up to traffic, the "rainbow" colour effect at the top edge of the beam.

I like the silver vision indicator bulbs in the main cluster (to get rid of the orange colour) - are these easy to replace. I remember replacing the sidelights and main bulbs a pain in the MK1.

However I do find that the beam is better then the old mk1 standard.

I have also noticed driving at night and pulling up to traffic, the "rainbow" colour effect at the top edge of the beam.

I like the silver vision indicator bulbs in the main cluster (to get rid of the orange colour) - are these easy to replace. I remember replacing the sidelights and main bulbs a pain in the MK1.

However I do find that the beam is better then the old mk1 standard.

Took me 5 min. to replace to Philips Silver Vision. Main beam goes out by unscrewing white plastic nut on the back of the beam and unclipping side clip. It wouldn't harm beam adjustment. For indicator bulb there is no need to unplug the cable. If you need more help see Octavia Tips And Tricks (top thread in this forum). I strongly advice to do the change on the back lights (yellow indicators) because after it looks great. Philips Silver Vision bulbs are offset so it's straight swap. I got them from Ebay. Just do the search by "Philips Silver Vision" and you'll get a lot of results.

• 1 year later...

I like the silver vision indicator bulbs in the main cluster (to get rid of the orange colour) - are these easy to replace.

Very easy, I actually think I may have not bothered with removing the headlamp and just reached around the back of the lamp and 1/4 turned bulbholder IIRC, then put the new bulb in and re-inserted. But for the first time doing it, it my be better to take out Headlamp because it is so easy, Octavia-vRS.com - Changing Front Lamps - Octavia II

I have Halfords Bulbs in my indicators - Silver ones to be rid of the "Fried Eggs"

They are probably considerably cheaper than the Philips ones too, and i Havent had any problems with them;

The Halfords product code is - (S)581 - and the bulbs are sold in Individual packs (1-piece)

here is how they look -

Front -

DSCF0929.jpg

Rear -

DSCF0658.jpg

DSCF0657.jpg

Hope this is of help to anyone

I have Halfords Bulbs in my indicators - Silver ones to be rid of the "Fried Eggs"

They are probably considerably cheaper than the Philips ones too, and i Havent had any problems with them;

The Halfords product code is - (S)581 - and the bulbs are sold in Individual packs (1-piece)

Now you've got ridd of orange effect and got blue effect. That's why I've chosen Philips Silver Vision. They are realy silver and without any effect.

Now you've got ridd of orange effect and got blue effect. That's why I've chosen Philips Silver Vision. They are realy silver and without any effect.

They are only blue at certain angles... ;)

Sometimes you get a gold tinge, a purple one, a silver one or none atall - aswell as the blue - :cool::thumbup:

Just looking plain silver would be a bit too boring and plain IMO