Changing tyres - poor wet performance

echo

Hi!

I've noticed in the recent wet weather that my vRS has a very scary side to it. If you hit standing water, if it's a tad deeper than an inch, the spray kicked up from the front wheels covers the windscreen in a wave that completely blacks out forward vision. Even the wipers can't shift it fast enough that on one occasion recently on the M40 I was convinced I was about to have an 'off'. Very scary.

Just to add, I drive 40,000 miles a year and have done for years in zillions of cars. I've never had this kind of thing.

OK, so I drive an Impreza too so am used to good wet handling but the difference in the traction in the wet is remarkable. On that example of standing water I would move on without hint of an incident but the vRS scares the c@#p out of me.

So, I am looking at an improved tyre for the wet, possibly the Eagle F1 GSD 3's - I have these on my Subaru. But is it worth looking at changing the wheels too, eg, a slightly bigger rim and slightly wider track? Also, is there a way to modify the arches to direct the water in another direction?

I can't be the only one to have this experience, can I?

Cheers!

Mike

Pirelli P Zero Nero :D

I know I always say they are good, those who have followed my advice are now converts and "sell" them to others. Ask Sharkrider what he thinks of them :D At a recent meet, I could swear he wanted to kiss them :rofl:

Pirelli P Zero Nero :D

I know I always say they are good, those who have followed my advice are now converts and "sell" them to others. Ask Sharkrider what he thinks of them :D At a recent meet, I could swear he wanted to kiss them :rofl:

lol... this is true, it was a wet meet (lakedistrict :rolleyes: ) and I was leading the run, I'm not the fastest of drivers (ask Rob, and the two octy's who overtook me at the last cat'n'fiddle meet!) but some of the poeple swear my car was putting out more power than it is, due to the rapid progress I could make ;)

now... this , I swear, is to do with the tyres... pirelli p-nero, bloody great! :thumbup:

edit: I use 215/40/16's.....

GY GSD3s I had all-round on the car for a bit. I found they are excellent in the wet, but they are too soft in the sidewall to hold the car when cornering fast, it felt unsettled. I am talking 90+ but it makes it really unsafe with the rear ARB.

Must find out if I ended up with Kuhmos or Toyos now, but they are much better :)

Eagle F1 GS D3 definately must be the best all round tyre, toyos are horrible in the wet! Have the eagles on my 172 and after trying lots of different tyres they are def the best, you were spot on with you post. Also the majority of cliosport agree...

These cars arent great in the wet, very torquey, just make sure you got lots of tread left, and you should be fine.

Interesting about the P Zero's. I had them on my other Scooby (yeah, I need therapy) but when I got in to the one with F1 GSD 3's in the same conditions the F1's were far better. That said, the first Scoob was on 15's and the second (F1's) were 17's so the side wall was not so deep.

Hmm, I may toss a coin but my real issue I need to solve is the bow wave that I get over the windscreen. Any ideas for this?

Cheers for all the feedback!

Mike

Interesting about the P Zero's. I had them on my other Scooby (yeah, I need therapy) but when I got in to the one with F1 GSD 3's in the same conditions the F1's were far better. That said, the first Scoob was on 15's and the second (F1's) were 17's so the side wall was not so deep.

Hmm, I may toss a coin but my real issue I need to solve is the bow wave that I get over the windscreen. Any ideas for this?

Cheers for all the feedback!

Mike

I have had the water over the screen as you describe... dunno how you'd go about changing it.... must be the way the water escapes from the wheel-arch....