Curfew for younger drivers...

mpopevrs

Should a curfew be introduced for young new drivers?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should a curfew be introduced for young new drivers?

Males should be allowed to take their test at 16, and female at 25.

Females should be made to drive with a male passenger over 16 for the first 3 months aswell.

No explanation required.

:thumbup:

Though, Im confused why no one has picked up on this one yet :D

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I already said I don't believe in any engine limits/power as it basically mans all young people have to get their own car and can't borrow thier parents.

Agree entirely that night driving should be compulsory as its very obvious how bad it is in general now the clocks have switched. However, many of the people i notice are not necessarily young. The driving test is the hardest ever therefore people passing now are in theory to a higher standard than ever.

The only way to improve matters is through experience, however, this can only be gained on the road as it always has been by every one on the website.

To be fair, people on here are suggesting skid pans. I had a go on one of these about a month after I passed at Silverstone, driving 2.0 A4's.

Problem was I loved the sensation of going sideways so much that I partly contribute that to why I crashed about a month later.

I honestly don't think I learnt that much from the skid pan, I think I found that when I drove Karts at the ago of 14 I learnt much more, then you learn about speed in to bends, what happens when you slide, what happens when the back lets go and what happens when you crash. Obviously I'm not saying driving or crashing a kart is anything like driving a car on the open road but I think it helps give an idea of certain skills.

Also with the Pass Plus, I personally do not rate these at all. I know various people who have done these and always said they didn't really learn anything, most people just drove down the motorway stopped at a services got something to drink or eat and drove home again. It seemed to just to be an exercise that allowed the instuctor to just tick off a few boxs and sign a form.

I think a new test needs to be developed in co-ordination with Police class 1 drivers, when I've been out with one they taught me a huge amount.

Males should be allowed to take their test at 16, and female at 25.

Females should be made to drive with a male passenger over 16 for the first 3 months aswell.

No explanation required.

It's actually an interesting point in my view that after passing one's test, there is no-one there to help you in sticky situations. That Beeb programme had a camera in the car to show how the drivers dealt with situations (albeit with an instructor present). Perhaps a driving test extension should include a driving run that shows that a person is capable of reacting reasonably when dual control and an instructor are no longer present (*). Impossible, I know, but you'll get my drift.

On topic, I'm never convinced that restrictive measures capture intended targets (i.e. daft twits), but only penalise those trying very hard to stay safe in the first place.

Regards

Mo

PS (*) Not to mention driving "alone" but with mates, kids or backseat driver in the car...

"But for anyone who lives near The Forest of Dean, will know rationalisation is underway, where the stupid young drivers are becoming less and less as they are actually killing themselves. Thats one way to stop it i guess?"

i know what you mean!! i dont think ive ever seen as many evo's, scooby's etc in one area. i have also never seen so many bunches of flowers tied to trees. its quite sad to think that many people have been killed an it still happens!!!

Last year when i was in collage, whom the majority of the students live in the Forest, there were 11 deaths in 4 months of which about 60% of the students knew them. None of which attended our collage, and none of which i directly knew luckily for me.

Still the number of people killed is shocking.

*note: Out of those 11deaths, i believe only 1 was over 18 years old, and hes was only 19.

^ I agree

Polish truckers and old people should be the first to be retested.

Both have tried to kill me today.

And young people, who are over confident and drive too fast with a "coz they can" attitude :D

Therefore, retests are for

Polish truckers,

Old People,

Young People

So if your between 25 and 45 you are ok :thumbup::D

I'll start of by saying i'm 19, been driving 2 years now and drive an octy slxi turbo, i've got a clean license and only had 1 minor ding (reversed out of parking space into some idiot who reversed down a one way street- no damage done!)

If they introduced a curfew i wouldn't be able to get to and from work, i'm a chef so i have no choice but to drive to and from work at silly hours of the night/morning. the major round i drive down every day is a well known accident hot spot (known as Pirbright bends).

When i passed my test the it felt very scary to go out in the car on my own for the first time,For months i had my instructor or my mum sat next to me then you pass and your out on your own, i'd never driven at night, on the motorway or in bad weather and its a steep learning curve for the first few months.

I was lucky enough to get given a day on a skid pan course for my birthday and i learnt so much from that day and i think that every person who passes thier test would benefit from some advanced training rather than a curfew. Young people don't only drive like dicks at night and its not just young people that drive like dicks, when bmw and merc drivers learn to use thier indicators the roads will be a better place!!

Young people don't only drive like dicks at night and its not just young people that drive like dicks, when bmw and merc drivers learn to use thier indicators the roads will be a better place!!

Totally agree:thumbup: .

Their car has seats, they sit in them.

Their car has a radio, they listen to it.

Their car has indicators, they loose all perspective on lane discipline and weave in and out and 100mph+ without the slightest care in the world or regard for other drivers! :mad:

lol

Sorry to say this and I'm sure I'll get roasted for it but set all new drivers for the first two years the following:

- A 60ish bhp limit for the cars.

- Compulsorary P plates

- A speed limiter limiting the car to 60/70MPH

An additional test should be required to allow use of motorways and drive the next class of cars:

- Say 100-120ish bhp

- No P plates

- No preset limiter.

Yes it might mean they can't borrow mum and dads car, although i am sure there would be remappers happy to limit the cars acceleration and top speed which the parents could switch on.

At the end of the day, too many kids in small cars with big engines are racing. If they knew the car couldn't out accelerate anything on the road then they wouldn't try it on.

This should apply to all new drivers, as today on the Motorway I saw a P plated driver doing about 55 in the outside lane, with nothing inside him who wasn't moving over at all. There was a nice queue and plenty of undertaking of him which is fairly dangerous. When I passed him and had a look the driver in question was a bloke who looked in his mid 30s.

Cars are dangerous items, not a right and as such placing limits won't harm anyone. Being incharge of a 180BHP car can be dangerous.

Yes 180BHP is fine when things are all good, but with that much power it is easier to put yourself in a situation where you loose traction or can't stop quickly enough.

Oh my first car was a 71BHP citroen BX diesel estate, with no turbo. I think driving such a slow car encouraged me to drive in a much safer fashion.

No. Reasoning; by the time I'd passed my test I had:-

a) Driven in falling and lying snow.

B) Driven in the dark at speeds up to the NSL

c) Driven in rain so heavy it was difficult to see more than about 150 feet

d) Driven on a motorway-grade dual carriageway (2 running lanes plus a hard shoulder, dual-level junctions, 70mph limit, but no restrictions on learners or slow-moving vehicles, so actually trickier than a motorway.

e) driven a fast car by the standards of the day.

Also, not everyone has the luxury of:-

f) decent, or any post 6pm, public transport

g) motorway within reasonable travelling distance

h) usable light levels for a long enough day to allow them to commute by car.

So if your between 25 and 45 you are ok :thumbup::D

Although people in this age range tend to be complacent about their driving and have plenty of bad habits which could be ironed out with regular retesting. It would also be a good way to bring them up to speed with changes in the Highway Code! :D

Chris