transferring photos onto pc from digital camera

A friend of mine had a problem with her harddrive after trying to download pictures onto her pc via the card reader. Apparently the problem was caused because she did not reformat the card everytime the photos were downloaded in this way. The camera's manual only suggested that reformating may be done whereas it appears it had to be done.

She understands that downloading via usb whilst slower wouldn't have caused the problem.

Although I don't have a digital camera myself I don't recall reading anywhere about having to reformat the card when transferring in this way. Is reformatting a standard practice and why does a problem arise if reformatting does not occur?

A card reader is usually USB anyway so it would make no difference. Formatting the card would make no difference to the hard drive. Sounds like unlucky coincidence to me. Might be worth checking the card reader connection leads are secure.

Formatting the card is best done in the camera using the option in the cameras menu. The reason for formatting is it will make the card a little quicker by creating a new file table. There are different types of format and doing it in the camera makes sure it stays compatible.

I would always use a card reader in preference to a USB lead to the camera for file transfer.

• 2 weeks later...