I tend to read a lot of rubbish and ignore most of it but this latest one is something I would like your advice on.

Running my car on Morrisons Petrol currently costs me 83.9p/litre but if I decided to run it on BP's Ultimate it would cost me 89.9p/litre.

According to this sales pitch though it would be worth it

BP - Audi Ultimate 10/25/05

1) Is changing to a fuel like Shell v-power or BP Ultimate worth it in the long run? Or shall I keep pinching the pennies at Morrisons?

2) Asda has an unleaded with detergents at the same price as Morrisons, is this any good?

3) Am i just reading too much again and have delusions of grandure about my Felicia as these fuels are aimed at more performance motors?

Thanks in advance for your time

Some more BP vids - BP - Ultimate Unleaded_Power 09/29/05

BP - Ultimate Unleaded_Accel 09/29/05

BP - Ultimate Unleaded_Ecco 09/29/05

good question, was gonna ask something similar...

I normally run my car on sainsburys unleaded at 84.9p/l - The other day gassed up with some Total unleaded at 85.9p/l. It seemed to create a marked difference in running and acceleration... Any ideas, or am I just imagining it..??!

Depends on what you are looking for economy or fun,

I use supermarket petrol for the daily commute, but fill up with BP ultimate for rally or fun use, there is a noticeable difference, but not enough I would say to justify its use in traffic jams and at 10 mph.

Try a tank full see if you like it, its not going to turn it into a dragster, but it does make a noticeable difference.

Assuming you normally average 45mpg and using 1 gallon=4.54 litres........

83.9p/litre = £3.81/gal

This means you pay about 8.5p per mile @ 45 mpg

89.9p/litre = £4.08/gal

To get the same economy you would need to achieve (408/8.5) 48mpg.

So - an extra 3 mpg would be necessary to break even if you normally achieve 45mpg.

I personally use Asda or Tesco fuel @83.9 - Never seemed to have any problems but then again I have never used an alternative to compare it with. Fortunately I haven't had a close look at my valves yet so don't know how coked up they may be.

I dont think its ever seemed to me that its worked out cheaper to run than normal fuel, but thats probably because I normally use the throttle more when I run it. I would say its probably more of a mitigating factor than a reason to choose it, I would be surprised if it worked out cheaper to run than normal fuel for the daily commute.

Well after a day of mooching about I can definitely say that BP's ultimate makes a notable difference. The car pulls away much better than usual, fuel economy doesnt seem much different (i agree with the previous post it will probably be worse due to putting my foot down more)

For a day to day run this makes driving a touch more enjoyable, if I wasnt doing so much mileage I would probably stick with it but 6p/litre extra x 35 litres a week for a year = £100.80 a year (it isnt going to break the bank and I wonder if the increase in cost versus the suposed engine cleaning and efficient running it provides pays off)

Add to that taking up the slack on my throttle cable and cleaning the throttle body I have to say its like driving a new car today.

my car seems to run better on the fuel i buy south-of-the-border (republic of ireland). better performance, better mpg and more fuel for £ (varies according to £/euro).

pity the tank is too small to stock up on a regular basis. taking the 50-mile round-trip, the time to get there and back, the fuel used to get there and back, the amount of fuel the tank actually holds, i still haven't worked out if it's worth it. i usually just get as much as i can afford any time i'm across the border rather than going specially for it.

• 9 months later...
Better to use fuel from BP or Shell. supermarkets tend to 'water' down their fuel with ethanol. So you get better performance from Shell/BP fuel and in some cases better mpg as well

a few mates of mine where playing with ethanol to see if it helps get better mpg. as far as im away they found it to help in small amounts, but i dont know if they kept the experiment up.