Am I being ripped off??

awginger

Firstlty, I know very little about cars.

I have just dropped my furby vrs off for a 50k service (it missed it's one at 40k - my bad) and I have just had a call from the garage telling me I need the brake fluid replacing, plus new discs and pads front and back.

The price they have given me for this is over

Well a 50k service could be anything up to £250 if it's the full inspection one, brake fluid , about £30 , pads and disks could certainly be about £400 or so at a main dealer......

Seems like typical pricey main dealer costs.

Whether your brakes actually need all that work though... I doubt it

Will depend on how you drive, but I can believe the fronts may need replacing after 50k miles, but the rears should be fine for plenty more (my Fabia was still on its original rears when I sold it with 82k miles on. If the brakes are squealing when you use them then it's a sure sign they need replacing as the pad will have worn through to the metal backing plate (which will score the disc)....

Fluid should be changed every couple of years, but if you're not happy with the price then leave it and get a second opinion from another garage :D

Chris

I've told them to leave the brakes and I'll get a 2nd opinion. 90% of the driving I do is on the motorway so I also find it hard to believe that I need new brakes already, even on the front!

Been looking online and I can get the parts for about £180 and then just someone to fit them for me.

The only reason they tell you the brakes need changing, is because they will wear out before the NEXT service. Someone at work had the same thing regarding brakes and when pressured the garage said that they will proberbly last another 6000 miles or so, but will need to be done before the next service.