Throttle adaptation - Felicia 1.6

DGW

Does anyone know the procedure for carrying out throttle adaptation with VAG-COM for a 1997 Felicia 1.6GLXi with the AEE engine? Is it done via Address 01 - Engine, Basic Settings - 04, or via Adaptation - 10 and resaving the factory settings in Block 00?

it's either block 00,047, or 098 can remember which one it is either way you will know which one it is cos you will hear the throttle moving and see figures changing on screen btw little tip it's best done with the throttle cable disconnected!

04 - Basic settings and Channel 98 it is. But I can't access the Go button to carry out adaptation without a login code or 7-digit PIN/SKC - neither of which I have. :( Strange that the Felicia needs one of these yet the Octavia doesn't.

Why do you think there is a Login required?
Basic Settings comes under Advanced Functions which includes Login - 11. Channel 98 is titled Throttle Control Basic Setting. The 4 blocks displayed are Throttle Pot G88 Voltage, Throttle Pot G88 Voltage, Operating Mode, and Adaptation Status. Since the Go button is greyed out, it isn't possible to do anything other than look at the displayed figures.

Ross-Tech's Manual states that the login function must be used on some (but not all) control modules before you can recode or change adaptation values. I assumed that is the case here since the Go button is not accessible. For interest, Adaptation Status Idle/OK/ERROR shows 55.00.

Do me a favor and try MVB 001 instead - I have real doubts that the AEE uses MVB 098. There is definitely no Login necessary - sorry to say that, but you are assuming something where nothing is to assume. What's the part number of the ECU?

Forgot to say I'm using a Ross-Tech HEX+CAN-USB interface and 607.3. The ECU is a Marelli 1AV F010 - PN: 032 906 030 M. Does MVB 001 refer to Chan 1 in 4 - Basic settings, or 10 - Adaptation where I can reset all factory defaults by saving Chan 00? Assuming the former, I think I know what I am doing wrong, or rather not doing - but I don't have access to a laptop until this evening to confirm. :(

MVB = Measuring Value Block, that means normally Measuring Blocks (Function 08). In this particular case, where we are talking about a Basic Setting it's Function 04 (Basic Setting).

Adaptation is a completely different horse, has nothing to do with this whole mess here.

BTW: This whole confusion would have been not necessary if you'd have read that...

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Throttle Body Alignment

Thanks for the clarification, Sebastian. I have a hard copy of that reference, and just about everything else published by Ross-Tech, but had misread it. Hopefully all will work this evening. :)

Stu,

The Wiki page you referred to doesn't cover TBA for the 2.0 TFSI. The prerequisites of Ignition ON and Engine ON are for the Fuel Pump basic setting.

TBA on a 2.0 TFSI will be the last procedure (DBW Cars using KWP-2000) on this page:

Ross-Tech: VAG-COM: Throttle Body Alignment

DGW needs the first one on that page (Cable-Throttle Cars) and falls under the "Note: Some SIMOS or Marelli ECU's use Group 001 such as ADY & AEE engines".

-Uwe-

I have followed the procedure for throttle body alignment for cable-throttle cars as described here but still can't get it to work for my car. First, I selected Measuring Blocks - 08 then Group 001 for the AEE engine with Marelli ECU. This displays General Engine Data in the 4 blocks: Engine speed; Coolant temp; Lambda probe; and Conditions. Nothing happens on switching to basic settings. I then tried Group 098 which displays Throttle pot G69 voltage; Throtttle pot G88 voltage; Operating mode; and Adaptation status - Idle/OK/ERROR. The respective readings were 128.0, 113.0, 40.0 and 25.0. Selecting Switch to basic settings clears all 4 blocks then the same readings immediately return. There is no sign of ADP RUN appearing in the top right display, any sound of the TB cycling, nor of the values changing. :(

OK, if you've tried the TBA in both Groups 001 and 098 and it didn't "take" then there should be one or more fault codes telling you why it didn't take.

Is it safe to assume you did this with the Ignition ON but the engine NOT running? And that you observed the other prerequisites on our TBA page? I.e:

* No DTC's in the Engine Controller

* Battery voltage at least 11.5 V

* Throttle must be at idling position (keep your foot off the gas pedal)

* Throttle body part must not be dirty (carbonized).

* Coolant temperature must be between 5 and 95C

-Uwe-

denis bring it over and i'll do it for you, why do you want to set the throttle anyway are you playing? or do you have a prob?
Many thanks for that kind offer. :) Idling RPM was 1000 after clutch change (and battery disconnect) on Monday, although it has now settled back to normal. The car is occasionally reluctant to start after being a first time starter for years; there have a few exciting incidents where idle RPM has fluctuated rapidly between 1000 and 1500 after starting - rendering the car impossible to drive; and a couple of recent incidents where idle rpm has dropped below 500 and the car has stalled. I wanted to rule out throttle setting before worrying about whether a new throttle valve control unit or crankshaft position sensor was needed. The battery voltage is fine and the coolant thermostat housing has been changed in the recent past.

• 3 months later...
I have followed the procedure for throttle body alignment for cable-throttle cars as described here but still can't get it to work for my car. First, I selected Measuring Blocks - 08 then Group 001 for the AEE engine with Marelli ECU. This displays General Engine Data in the 4 blocks: Engine speed; Coolant temp; Lambda probe; and Conditions. Nothing happens on switching to basic settings. I then tried Group 098 which displays Throttle pot G69 voltage; Throtttle pot G88 voltage; Operating mode; and Adaptation status - Idle/OK/ERROR. The respective readings were 128.0, 113.0, 40.0 and 25.0. Selecting Switch to basic settings clears all 4 blocks then the same readings immediately return. There is no sign of ADP RUN appearing in the top right display, any sound of the TB cycling, nor of the values changing. :(

I have exactly the same problem as outlined above.Tried the adaptation (to the letter!)but no movement of the motor.

I have noticed that the coolant temp and air temp readings are transposed in the measuring blocks. This means that the coolant temp is being measured at around 22 degree C.I am thinking that this may be fooling vagcom into thinking the parameters for adaptation are not being met.

Incidently this felicia starts badly from cold and struggles to idle. Not so bad when warm.

The throttle plate is obviously not moving.

Has any else had these issues and found a solution?

Regards,

Tony

I never did manage to carry out throttle adaptation. But a garage which changed the clutch on the Felicia had no problems carrying out throttle adaptation with their Bosch diagnostic kit.

• 2 years later...

am having the same 1.6engine issues here on a felicia, no signs of it taking via 98, will retry 01 and listening carefully :-)

and also have the temps playing up - if you view only channel one then the coolant temp is correct, but try to view channel 1 and 2 and the air/coolant temp changes/swops and misleads you into looking at faults that arent there !!!!

no faults, battery ok, temps ok... all checked out fine.

but showing signs of being lean - lambda sensor looks ok - but low voltage indicating lean...

will retry channel 1 to reset and will cross my fingers too :-)