Help! Skoda Felicia In Need Of Tlc!

1. There is a problem with the airbag light being on and the lights becoming brighter as more revs are put on. Some optics for the dashboard have gone too. so probably the voltage regulator?

2. The car seems to stall, when being driven for 5 minutes it cuts out completely but only happens when it has been cold the night before and upon restarting the engine it starts with incredibly low revs and i have to push right down on the accelerator to pick it up to normal again.?

3. Headlights are out of alignment

4. Wiper blades wipe at odd intervals and sometimes quicker than others.

5. minimal fumes/smoke/heat rising coming from the front grille only seen when stationary on cold nights/mornings possible exhaust dislodged?

I have no idea about engines/cars and picked up some ideas from these forums. Anyone with any ideas of how to repair this little lot? and most helpfully would be a rough estimate this lot might cost to fix at a garage?.

p.s the battery and spark plugs were replaced about 6 months ago if that.

Your help in this matter is much appreciated.

Thank you

Jonathan

:) The first fault is definately with the alternater or its voltage regulater, and may well be causing the second fault too.

The interior headlamp adjuster system is frankly rubbish, and the best thing to do with it it is to disconect it and have the lamps aim set at an MOT station.

Re the wiper fault...do you mean when they are set to intermittent? They have an odd way of adjusting the time delay which takes a bit of getting used too.

The smoke/heat/fumes could well be the battery being overcharged due to the regulater fault, but it's more likely that it's just steam rising from the radiator as it warms up. Do you loose coolant? Maybe the rad is leaking a bit and you're seeing that leakage "go up in steam" as the rad warms up?

A Skoda dealer or ebay are the best sources of badges.

Good luck!:thumbup:

On my Dads old VW Polo I had a similar fault with the dash lights and the smell inside the car , it was the voltage regulator on the Alternator as stated previously , so if you change that the smell *should* go away too!

Thanks guys. Car booked in for repair at a skoda dealership. Mechanic told me that it was normal for bulbs to go brighter when revving! not sure if thats a good sign.... anyway told him that it just started doing it so it needs sorting. guna get headlights aligned too and some blown optics on the dash :) hope it aint guna be too expensive though! :( gotta wait a week too before it gets seen to!

Electrical problems sound like voltage regulator. As suggested though the the intermittent wipe can be varied between 2 and 35 seconds by switching the wipers on (to the intermittent position) and let it do a wipe, then switch off for the interval you want between wipes, then back on again. It then continues wiping at whatever interval you set. Or something like that anyway, confused the hell out of me and I thought the wipers were faulty.

the wipers can and do also adjust times if you leave it on intermittent when you turn off the engine. restarting sends them all the buggery ....... about 2.5 mins slow, and 30 secs fast intermittent :( re-do the bad habit and they should return to normal ....... 20 secs and 3 secs

dont let skoda persuade you to replace the headlamp adjusters... as stated rip them out and forget that feature.

• 6 months later...

Get the car into the Garage right away. The voltage regulator has gone. If you don't do something Pretty Damned Quick you'll end up blowing up the battery like I did and probably the ECU the Radio and other bits of electrical equipment. Mine cost me nearly 2K Euros to fix in France, and you could be looking at

2. The car seems to stall, when being driven for 5 minutes it cuts out completely but only happens when it has been cold the night before and upon restarting the engine it starts with incredibly low revs and i have to push right down on the accelerator to pick it up to normal again.?

This is an old post :)

I've had this happen to me about 4 times in the last year

if i leave it for a minute it restarts fine (a pig if this happens in traffic)

did you find a cure for this Thedarkjedi?

was it the alternator/voltage regulator

could this be related to my battery and replacement battery going flat every couple of months?

• 2 weeks later...