Economy v Making Progress ?

Hi all you lot!

Since getting my Fabby 1.9 TDi new in 2002 with 12 miles on the clock I have recorded every drop of diesel it has used. To date it has averaged 59.8 mpg. Recently I have done the IAM 'skill for life' programme where making progress is essential.

Should I expect a drop in mpg?

Cheers Gibbo:confused:

Did you drive differently whilst doing the AIM course? You will probably know yourself if you 'pushed' the car more than you normally do , if you use extra performance then AFAIK you will pay for it with a bit of extra fuel consumption!

Interestingly, I did my RoSPA last year - fuel economy is unchanged, however, I'm getting places much quicker ;) I think the reason for this is that I now keep the revs a bit higher so the engine's not labouring and I carry much more speed through corners which results in a lot less braking and accelerating :D At the end of the day, it depends how different pre- and post-IAM driving styles are!!!

Chris

Might be a stupid question, but whats the ROSPA course?

It's an advanced driving course run by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents. Course content is a lot similar to IAM, but the qualification you receive is graded (bronze, silver gold), so you're able to do better than a pass/fail :D

More info at RoSPA Advanced Drivers and Riders and it's an excellent basis for further training :D

Chris

I think the general feedback is increased fuel economy, achieved by having the car in the right gear. That might be 3rd @ 30Mph and not 4th.

I think a lot of people assume the higher the gear the better MPG they're getting especially around town. My dad rarely revs beyond 3000 rpm, it drives me bonkers!

I get better mpg when making progress at 60mph, than pootling along behind someone at 40. Carrying speed through corners safely I've found useful as it requires less throttle the other side. Engine braking approaches to traffic/junctions too - saves on brakes and the fuel used when not using any degree of foresight.

This "keeping revs high" thing does not work for me. I definitely get the better mpg in the highest gear I can reasonably pull - so at 60mph, this is 6th gear @ around 1700-1750rpm. Likewise in a 30 limit, it will be 4th gear @ 1500rpm. Also, the exhaust is a fair bit quieter when I keep the revs low. :o