2001 Fabia 1.4mpi gearbox oil change

Bobby

Hi all,

The gearbox on my wife's 2001 1.4 (30,000 miles) Fabia mpi is stiff, especially from 1st to 2nd. I was hoping that a gearbox oil change, using fully synthetic oil, and/or an additive like Slick 50 might help. What do you think, and is it a difficult job to change the gearbox oil ?. Can anyone tell me how it's done.

In contrast, the gearchange on my 2006 Octavia 1.9 TDi is smooth as silk.

Thanks for your help.

• 4 months later...

Did you find out where the gearbox filler and drain were? I want to change my gear oil. Looking under neath front the front I can seean M16 spline key hole. Is that the drain ? where is the filler? thank anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

hi all -

try a m17 hex socket or 17 mm allen key for the drain plug - you may find it easier by removing the splash shield first -

to fill , use 9mm ring spanner and remove the speedo sender unit - note , there

is a plug on the side of the gearbox for filling but found the latter an easier

option -

hope it helps

Can I ask a blond question please? Would changing the oil make much of a difference? (I've always found gear changes a bit stiff anyway, though getting into first from neutral rather than first to second is more of an issue for me.)

Would one expect that to be done as part of annual service (like periodic change of brake fluid), if problem noted to service garage?

Sorry if a bit of a hijack.

Thanks

Mo

My mum was once told that the gearbox on her old Fabia was 'sealed for life' when enquiring about an oil change (no doubt after reading an article in the Motoring section of the Saturday Telegraph, but that's another story! :rolleyes:)

AFAIK, the gearbox has a filter just like the sump, so I'm a bit dubious of the benefits of changing the oil but not the filter if that's the case.

As for a stiff gearchange, my wife's 1.4 MPi has the same neutral-to-first issue as Mo's, to the extent that it sometimes has to be slid into 2nd before it'll go into first. I've been told on here that it's a linkage issue, rather than anything else and can be sorted with a bit of tinkering. Could be the same for other changes...

(In fact, neutral-to-first is a bit notchy on my vRS compared to the other gearchanges, so must get that looked at next time it's in.)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your post. I undid the m 17 hex plug on the front of the gearbox and a little oil came out. I thought their should be 2lts of oil in there so I assume cause this plug was 8 " up from the bottom of the engine it was the filler and I couldn't find the drain. If this was drain then my box had little oil in it. I can see an electrical wire screwing into the front. what side is the filler on looking from the front. Is it accessed from under neath? Thanks for any advice. I posted this in the forum. I'm worried my box is dry!

Thanks for your post. I undid the m 17 hex plug on the front of the gearbox and a little oil came out. I thought their should be 2lts of oil in there so I assume cause this plug was 8 " up from the bottom of the engine it was the filler and I couldn't find the drain. If this was drain then my box had little oil in it. I can see an electrical wire screwing into the front. what side is the filler on looking from the front. Is it accessed from under neath? Thanks for any advice. I posted this in the forum. I'm worried my box is dry!

I believe the wire you mention is the speedo sensor, which is the bit that's removed to top up the gearbox oil AFAIK. Can't help with draining it, though...

I am no expert but I was under the impression that the hex plug on the front of the gearbox is the filler hole, the drain plug (another 17mm hex plug) is on the base of the gearbox, at the lowest point.

To drain, you open first the higher one (to allow air in and make sure it isn't stuck), then open the lower one to let the oil out.

To refill, re-fit the lower plug and use the higher one to fill it until oil starts coming out of the hole. So long as the car is on level ground, when oil stops coming out of the top hole, it is topped up to the correct level.

^^ Sounds logical. Maybe the speedo sensor is only used as a shortcut? I can imagine attempting to fill the gearbox through a hole on a vertical surface must be a PITA...!

I thought so too .. so I spend a couple of quid on an oil can with a spout:

Automotive Products > Lubrication > Oil Cans

I used to use oil cans like that in a former job - it'll take FOREVER to get 2 litres through one of them - but at least you'll have a right arm like Popeye's once you're finished! (Although if you're married or otherwise taken, you might have some explaining to do! :D )

Enjoy! :thumbup:

thks for the replies but I'm still stuggling. I bought the Haynes manual and yes for most Fabia it showns the filler and drain locations on the underneath pic but not for the 1.4mpi. It mentions the filler check point as the hex 17mm on the front left gearbox. There is no drain on the bottom I've eyeballed the underside closely on the mpi thats why the haynes manual is crap on this item

The conclustion I come to is the 1.4 mpi has a 17hex filler/oil check on the front of the gearbox up form the bottom quite a few inches but there is no drain. It's an oil for life box.