Misfire while driving

Hi there, just joined so take it easy with me.

I have been reading the threads and you all seem to know your stuff so Im hoping you might be able to give me some pointers.

My sister recently bought a P reg felicia 1.3 LXi, up until a few days ago it was running fine, however it has now developed a bad misfire while driving, the old kangeroo petrol scenario which seems to get worse as the engine gets warmer.

I have changed the plugs, ( the old ones looked very black sooty and did seem to smell of petrol) spark plug leads, dist cap, rotor arm still the same, I even swapped in a new coil but this made no difference. I have checked for any inlet hose pipe leaks ect , found none.

I now started thinking it may be something to do with petrol starvation with the cetre point injection but as these are controlled by electronics ime kind of stuck.

After reading some of your posts i thought i should check the crankase sensor and fuel filter, could someone plz tell me where these are located. Also do you think I should disconect the battery to let the ecu reset?

cheers

I should also add that the temp gauge doesnt seem to work either, but it never did so i cant connect this to this fault however thought i should mention it. I will also try and get a haynes manual, does anybody have a url for tecnical drawings/manuals

Hi Again,

thanks tom for your quick reply..

I seem to have made things worse, after reading some of the other posts i decided before i went for the coolant sensor that I would disconect the battery and then reconect, hoping this would reset or help. After i had reconected battery

The engine will not start now, it turns over no problem but will not fire, I took out one of the plugs and it was dry, I then took of the airfilter and there is no sign of fuel getting through.

So does this mean I have made it worse or is this all conected to the original fault , which was looking like some kind of fuel starvation issue. I went and got a coolant sensor just in case but this made no diference , the engine will not fire up.

I take it these have electric fuel pumps, could this be the problem, also where is the fuel pump and fuel pump relay located exactly, and is the coolant sensor fused/relay,or did I do something to the ecu when i disconected the battery. any ideas??

Hi Folks.

Ok the good news is that I fixed the felicia, if you look at my previous posts it started of as a missfire and then after I had been messing around with it ,it would not start at all.

I went out this morning and although I knew it wasnt getting fuel I checked and found out there was no spark from coil when engine turned over. One of the things I had done previously was to remove the crankshaft sensor to clean it, I rechecked this and noticed that one of the wires into the multiplug had broken, went to local scrap yard cut one off and rejoined it to my own harness, Car started first time...

Bonus was, that as I had been given advise by teflontom and had replaced the coolant sensor the original fault was now also fixed, plus the temp gauge works.

The Moral of this story is be careful when pulling off these multiplug connections especialy those on the crankshaft sensor, I think because they get a soaking the wires oxidise and can become brittle...

Big thank you to Teflontom, he is, bulit proof

regards

• 5 months later...

Hi guys,

I've got the same fault on my 96 GLXi estate. Looking in Haynes it says the coolant sensor only controls the temp guage on the single-point injection model.

Is the above cure for both the single-point and multi-point, or just the latter. Would appreciate help.

Thanks all ... Liz.

2/8/07

Problem solved. It was the petrol filter.