Guide: how to change fabia suspension bushes

TeflonTom

first jack the car up and support it on axle stands, and remove wheels.

next remove the nut from the anti-roll bar drop link

bush1.jpg

now from underneath, remove the 3 securing bolts from the suspension lower balljoint, also recover the plate from above the joint

bush2.jpg

next undo the bolt securing the track control arm to the subframe

bush3.jpg

now carefully ease the track control arm away from it's front mounting point

bush4.jpg

and now lever the track control arm forwards, it may be quite stiff, so you may need something to lever it away with such as a large screwdriver or prybar.

bush5.jpg

now you have the track control arm clear of the car, inspect the rubber bonded bush for signs of damage or excessive free play, there is no replacement bush available for the front track control arm bush from skoda, but i decided to replace mine with a powerflex one.....

here's how i removed the old one, using a long piece of M12 stud a 17mm socket, and a 42mm socket a large washer and 3 nuts... using this method it is east to 'wind' out the bush using two spanners..... the larger socket bears onto the outer edge of the housing, the smaller socket bears onto the steel part of the bush.... anyway, you get the idea:)

bush6.jpg

using this method will only push it out this far unless you have a deep socket, so i used a hammer and drift to bash it out the rest of the way

bush7.jpg

now fit the powerflex bush using the supplied grease, the bush seperates in the middle, one part is pushed in from each side, then the steel sleeve pushes in afterwards.... it is not necessary to use a press to fit these, only hand pressure is needed

bush8.jpg

more info to follow regarding fitting the console bush..........

but for your info it can be removed/re-fitted whilst still attached to the underside of the car using special tools.

• 2 years later...

How much would i expect to pay a non skoda garage to replace the rear offside and nearside bushes c/w suspension arms?

Mot advice was that 'both bushes are deteriated but not resulting in excessive movement'.

They advised replacing the suspension arms at the same time but i suspect a bit of garage

'Ker-ching' -ing going on here.

Rob

Rob