Cheap VAG-COM

freddybozwell

so exactly how much is the genuine thing from Ross-Tec, the only reason i bought from ebay was to keep the cost down( only one wage and wife disabled, still waiting for disability benifits, you'd thing those that make the desissions would know just how disabled dialysis makes you!!!!!)

so yesterday i downloaded 409 and now my system wont work , so have i bust the cable or what, it worked ok with 311, but i can't roll back to that now, i need some help quickly guys.

thanks

kevin

uninstall 409 first?

I'm supprised someone from Ross tech hasn't been on here yet and proclaimed their monopoloy, and how by buying a cable from eBay you're starving their children

:rolleyes: hehe

hi,

i've uninstalled 409, but when i click on the 311 icon 409 reappears again, so has it overwriiten on the 311 version.

i don't know what to do next, how much is the ross-tec cable and how different can it be to the ebay stuff. i need some advise please.

kevin

uninstall 409 first?

I'm supprised someone from Ross tech hasn't been on here yet and proclaimed their monopoloy, and how by buying a cable from eBay you're starving their children

:rolleyes: hehe

Yes, because software is completely free to develop isn't it :rolleyes:

TBH I think the VAG-COM guys are pretty pleasent in the fact that they still support the older versions of the software that work with the knock off cables. They could have just said stuff you guys, and support it yourself.

hi,

i've uninstalled 409, but when i click on the 311 icon 409 reappears again, so has it overwriiten on the 311 version.

i don't know what to do next, how much is the ross-tec cable and how different can it be to the ebay stuff. i need some advise please.

kevin

Have you tried deleting the VAG-COM folder - usually to be found in C:\Program Files\VAG-COM - and then reinstalling 311? All the info you need on genuine VAG-COM cables from Ross-Tech, including prices, can be found in the various links in the 'sticky' below:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/diagnostics-vag-com/sources-diagnostic-hardware-software-advice-including-vag-com/6796/

PS: Just found these instructions on Ross-Tech's website:

The default installation folder is C:\Program Files\VAG-COM\

That means this version will by default overwrite most previous releases.

If you want to keep a previous release, choose a different installation folder.

To remove other old versions, simply delete the shortcuts from your Start menu and Desktop and delete the old C:\VAG-COM and/or C:\VAG-COM-Beta folders.

I was refering to the cable, since the software doesn't seem to be a problem, because it's available apparently 'free' from the site :)

The software isn't free... The cables include a dongle, which acts as a software license key. Pre v409 you had to enable to the software via e-mail from Rosstech.

I reckon rosstech are quite good at keeping the cheapo/crapo ebay cables and v409 going as it means that you can "try before you buy".

Yes, because software is completely free to develop isn't it :rolleyes:

TBH I think the VAG-COM guys are pretty pleasent in the fact that they still support the older versions of the software that work with the knock off cables. They could have just said stuff you guys, and support it yourself.

Yes as I said the software is "Free" because of Ross Techs good will.

They could have just killed it totally, and said nope if it doesn't have a dongle in the cable it isn't working.

Software costs millions to develop in pure financial terms, so they are entitled to get back some money.

If you look at the costs of the VAG-COM from B.O.M point of view, you would find that the software probably costs more per unit than the hardware until you have sold your first few million units.

yes, stuff costs money to develop - I know this.

I said that 'a' version was available 'free'; this is true.

People just want a sense of 'value', which is why so many are buying a cheaper cable from eBay. Surely this must say something? :)

People just want a sense of 'value', which is why so many are buying a cheaper cable from eBay. Surely this must say something? :)

Yes it says much the same as people who suspend their morals and use warped self-deluding thought processes to take BMW motorbikes from beached containers, or inflate insurance claims because 'they can afford it' and 'there's no victim'. :rolleyes:

The official leads are cheap... compare to a workshop diag tool. The features you get from the ross-tech cables are far an beyond what you get from 409. For a start, I don't think the 409 stuff even supports canbus ?

So your stuffed on the newer models with out the proper cables/software

the leads do work from ebay - the older software is freeware with restricted functions. it isnt robbing from ross tech at all.

full function needs money sent to ross tech.

it isnt a bad idea to use the cheap cable - on a budget it is good - but if there are multiple faults then it becomes a problem, but for looking at sensors - ie temp senders and throttle pots then it is great.