RAF Cosford Cold War Exhibition

fluffmeister

One for the plane buff's, ex pilots etc. I like the Aerospace Museum at Cosford as it was a place I visited regularly as a kid.

They have now finished the new building housing the cold war exhibition and it is an outstanding place to go and visit. Free admission, Free parking and a decent cafe + Picnic area.

They have made an excellent job on the new exhibition hall, with the way they have made use of the space and included lot's of elements like the space race and the berlin airlift.

There is also a hanger housing the warbirds collection with a Spitfire, hurricane, Mustang to name but a few and a hanger housing experimental aircraft with a great hands on / interactive area for the kids and adults to play around with various flight orientated experiments.

I went with the family yesterday and it cost me £10 in the cafe and £20 in V=Power so a real bargain.

Couple of pics for anyone interested and it could be a good place for a meetup sometime?

cosford4.jpg

cosford3.jpg

cosford2.jpg

cosford1.jpg

I have a bookmark in my email waiting for it to be ready. I see it is now so a visit will have to be planned.

Ooooooh and I see they have a Gloster Javelin hanging up - I've always wanted to see one of those. Another reason.

Where is Cosford exactly? I have this horrible feeling it's in Lincolnshire .... :(

Hmmm, haven't been for a few years, was thinking about heading that way for the airshow this year, if I'm not working. I think with the new hall I will definately have to take a trip.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO I've just checked and Cosford airshow is the same weekend as Donington Download festival :( (10 June for those who can't be bothered to look). Which one to go to :confused: :confused:

Good news is I'm not working though.

Talking of airshows, is anyone going to Waddington this year. THe Vulcan will be back in the air.

:eek: COOOOL!! :thumbup:

Might have to make a trip down there to watch it!

Lovely exhibitions at cosford too, been there a few times as my brother and sister used to be based there

Talking of airshows, is anyone going to Waddington this year. THe Vulcan will be back in the air.

Yeah, me and a couple of my (saddo) mates :o get the friday off every year and sit on the landing lights out side Waddington. The planes only just miss your head, you can feel the power, get some quality photo's and vids. I'll stick some on later...

I'll be there one of the main days too.

Also I agree, the person who decided to put the Lightning like that is a geeza:thumbup:

WOW! I am especially loving the way that the Frightning is displayed as if it's doing what a Frightning does best!

I got some great pictures of the lightning from directly below the engines, then thought to myself ...... 14 tons of lightning and a few steel cables holding it up hmmmmmmm

One of the best sights I have ever seen was as a kid and an air cadet, going to visit RAF Binbrook and seeing the lightnings just going vertical off the runway ...... awesome would love to find some vid's of lightnings but trawling t't interweb just seems to draw a blank

does look a pretty sweet exhibition. Was at the museum at Hendon last week, they got a static Vulcan, its f00king HUGE!!!!!!

if the vulcan is deffo flying then i might head to waddo this year. when is it due to leave brunters?

edit: £16 a ticket? ouch

does look a pretty sweet exhibition. Was at the museum at Hendon last week, they got a static Vulcan, its f00king HUGE!!!!!!

if the vulcan is deffo flying then i might head to waddo this year. when is it due to leave brunters?

edit: £16 a ticket? ouch

All proceeds to RAF charities and local worthy causes!

Anyway its a bargain for a day out:D

Dont know when shes leaving Brunters. I have a friend in the XH558 club, he tells me that the only two shows shes booked for this year are Waddington and the Royal International Air Tattoo. Ive been up close to XM607 at Waddington, its hard to imagine that something that size can out maneuveure an F14.

That looks super :cool: - will have to plan a visit soon.

Will be a nice run down too, when I sort an MX - be an excuse to go the country way from here :D :drivesaf: (weather permitting of course!)

Steve

• 2 weeks later...
WOW! I am especially loving the way that the Frightning is displayed as if it's doing what a Frightning does best!

Speaking of Lightnings, theres an interesting article on Wikipedia.org An F3 intercepted an American U2 spy plane at 88000 feet. Bet the yank pilot got a shock.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to Cosford today , and had a very nice time.

The new Cold War section is excellent with very good displays and it's even more amazing considering it's free.

Well worth a look if you have even a passing interest in planes

I got some great pictures of the lightning from directly below the engines, then thought to myself ...... 14 tons of lightning and a few steel cables holding it up hmmmmmmm

One of the best sights I have ever seen was as a kid and an air cadet, going to visit RAF Binbrook and seeing the lightnings just going vertical off the runway ...... awesome would love to find some vid's of lightnings but trawling t't interweb just seems to draw a blank

They had one at RNAS Yeovilton years ago at the annual show, doing the vertical climb thing, I remember the commentator saying after about 30 seonds - "and now he's at 23000 feet". A lovely aeroplane. Simple, but effective, such as we used to be famous for - Hurricane, Spitfire, Hunter, Canberra, Lightning etc...

I once heared the story of a foreign test pilot who came to blighty to sample the lightning, on one of the Lightning videoes I have seen. He was told that on take off, to only use full throttle and not full re heat, ie afterburner. He decided to ignore this, and on take off applied full throttle and full re heat. He was at 28000 feet before he got his gear up.