PS3 Question

Schern

I know a couple of people on here have PS3's so thought I'd ask as I haven't been able to find an answer anywhere else... will US NTSC games work on UK PAL consoles? I know they're not supposed to be region encoded, but NTSC and PAL uses different methods of displaying the picture IIRC. Does this matter? I have a Toshiba TV which is supposed to be ok with an NTSC signal, but I don't want to get a US game off of ebay only for it not to work on my UK console. Anyone have the definitive answer, or experience of this?

Thanks

I have a PS3 on order from Th'Argos, but I'm in two minds whether to sell it on. I don't think US or Japanese games will be compatible with the european console,as it has a different chipset inside. Sony announced last week that they were removing the "emotion engine" chip from euro consoles thus limiting the amount of old PS2 games that can be played on it. I think they want us to download official emulation software from official sources which can be installed onto the PS3 to make your old PS2 games work. So we will be paying twice to play PS2 games!

BBC NEWS | Technology | Euro PS3 to play fewer old games

So, not only do us in the UK have to pay more for the console, our consoles will have less components in them. This makes the whole thing even more ripoff britain.

So, not only do us in the UK have to pay more for the console, our consoles will have less components in them. This makes the whole thing even more ripoff britain.

To be fair, I believe removal of the "emotion chip" effects the whole of Europe.

It could well impact on PS3 sales as a mate of mine has decided not to buy one now due to the above reasons.

games will work on all regions as far as I am aware and any hdtv will be compatible with ntsc games. If you dont have a hdtv then theres no point buying the console anyway.

Oh and sony just get better and better and annoying the consumer. I am not buying one as theres no reason to. Better of with an xbox 360

The emotion engine chip only affects backwards compatibility with PS2 and PSone games. Any US / Jap PSone or two games won't work on a UK PS3 and vice versa due to region coding.

PS3 games should work if you have the PS3 running in component or HDMI where the supported resolutions are the same. If you just use the PAL or NTSC composite connection (the yellow phono cable), then I don't know.

PS3 games aren't region encoded. It was just the difference between PAL and NTSC that concerned me. If they'll work through component then I may risk getting a US game just as a test.

With regards to backwards compatibility, chances are if you've got a load of PS2 games, you own a PS2... just keep it :P And saying that its pointless to own a HD console without an HDTV seems somewhat short sighted... I couldn't play gears of war or Metal Gear Solid 4 if I didn't have a 360 or a PS3. I just can't play them in hi def, but they still look considerably better than a PS2 or X-box game.

Balls to the PS3 at that price.

I've got a Wii on it's way so that'll do until the PS3 comes down to a reasonable price.

I picked mine up in Japan a month or so ago. Of course, I only have Jap games, but no problem playing them on my HD projector.

I would have waited to get one in Europe but the price difference was just too big to ignore.

there was an article in the Guardian (iirc) about the negative response to the backward compatability issue.

One thing that it mentioned was that there would still be a stupidly high amount of PS1 and PS2 games that would run very happily on the Euro-release PS3.

I don't really see why its something major to complain about really. If you've got a lot of PS2 games, then chances are you have a PS2... keep it! Its worth bugger all now the PS3 is coming out!

although the games are region free the its up to the developers. they can still region lock the games if they wish to do so and the blu-ray drive is region locked for movies