Engine and Gearbox Mounts

I think one or more of mine are shot. When driving and lifting off there is a lot of clunking from the engine bay and the gear stick moves as the power is initially applied or when lifting.

I've had a quick scan of the Haynes manual and whilst the right hand engine mount (it's a 1.6) seems dead simple it gives a 5 spanner rating for the gearbox mounts, one of which is a gearbox out job! Is this true or is Mr. Haynes talking out of his a*s as is quite often the case.

Fank yoo.

on both my felicias, it has felt like the engine is trying to leave the building, between foot down and foot up. tiss quite normal (i think)

is it more pronouced when trying to cruse along in, say 1st or 2nd??? mine were all like that.

iirc on the earlier boxes the bracket with the rubber mounting on the gearbox was actually cast as part of the transmission casing, but they changed them to a bolt-on type in the later ones.

if the gearstick moves it's more likely to be the rear one that is ****ed,

Looking from the front of the car, on the right hand side you will see a bonded rubber mounting - better described as a chuck of metal with rubber pads inside at the front and back - held in place by 2 bolts. The gearbox casing protrudes into the gap and the mounting allows limited fore and aft movement of the engine. If the rubber pads wear, you will get excessive fore and aft movement - and maybe clunking from the exhaust at the rear. I have replaced the mounting twice so far.

• 1 year later...
Looking from the front of the car, on the right hand side you will see a bonded rubber mounting - better described as a chuck of metal with rubber pads inside at the front and back - held in place by 2 bolts. The gearbox casing protrudes into the gap and the mounting allows limited fore and aft movement of the engine. If the rubber pads wear, you will get excessive fore and aft movement - and maybe clunking from the exhaust at the rear. I have replaced the mounting twice so far.

I know this is an old thread.. but I could do with replacing this mounting..

Can it just be unbolted or does the engine need supporting. it doesnt look weight bearing or anything but I wouldnt want to chance it without asking!!

Also, anyone got any ideas on part number?

Cheers

:-)

Can it just be unbolted or does the engine need supporting. it doesnt look weight bearing or anything but I wouldnt want to chance it without asking!!

you will need to support the engine, a trolley jack and a block of wood is good enough

Would jamming ice cream sticks (the wooden ones i.e. minimilk sticks) into the mount resolve the problem ?

no, but it would be the perfect excuse to buy a big pack of ice creams from asda:)