DENSION GATEWAY 400 ipod + USB INTERFACE UNIT

:thumbdwn:

I can do 5 playlists on the fly and can browse by Album, artist, genre etc. in fact I have been doing so only an hour ago. Sorry, but crappy it is not.:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :P

Can you do this through the iPod controls or through the controls on the wheel? Does it use the display on the head unit?

I'm trying to buy a 400 but all the online retailers report no stock and the importers are constantly quoting (for the last three months anyway) availability is 'next week'.

Anyone bought one recently?

I'm trying to buy a 400 but all the online retailers report no stock and the importers are constantly quoting (for the last three months anyway) availability is 'next week'.

Anyone bought one recently?

I got mine a couple of months ago. I used Safe n

Have also been trying to get a 400, but have been told by the importers that it is no longer available, however the 300 is now compatible. I checked their compatibility chart and although the 400 is still listed for the MFD2, the 300 is also now listed as compatible, where it never used to be!! Don't mind which so long as it works! Have been told a 300 should be available for me next week, so will soon find out!!

Yes I've been speaking to Tom. He's becoming so exasperated with the manufacturers that he's considering not stocking them.

I'm surprised someone said they're being discontinued. I spoke to the importers last week and they said they should be here this week.

As for the 300 being compatible, as far as I know they always have been compatible, but you lose CD functionality, which is what I'm trying to avoid

I think that has been part of the problem, their communications are not consistant! I have been waiting for months for a 400, and was told about 2-3 weeks ago that they were no longer available. They have now developed a cable which allows the 300 to retain the CD changer and this should be in the country this week (or so they say)! Hence me keeping my fingers crossed!

I just wish they would sort out the info on the website and give a consistant message to customers. The product is good, but the "support" has been a little patchy!

As the 300 is much cheaper than the 400 (and available), I'd be interested in this cable and what is does, and how much it costs.

I want to retain the CD.

Would you please post when you have one (and where you got it from) and how much it costs?

Thanks

Unless someone has a better solution, it's the best that's currently available.

The Ipod was launched in October 2001. The DX head unit predates the launch of the Ipod. There's no reason why ID tags should be displayed on a unit that pre-dated the Ipod.

Maybe rather than calling the solution 'crappy' (since it does what it promises) you could suggest a better one?

As far as I know, the Dension 500 which is fibre optic based, will display ID tags but is incompatible with these VAG head units.

By the way, you want to watch who you call 'my dear', some people take offence.

• 2 weeks later...
The Ipod was launched in October 2001. The DX head unit predates the launch of the Ipod. There's no reason why ID tags should be displayed on a unit that pre-dated the Ipod.
??? And so what? I'm just saying that it's surprising for a whole industry to react so slowly to such a revolution in music listening habits. And I'm referring to the whole MP3 phenomena that's been far, far wider than what iPod ever reached (even today).
Maybe rather than calling the solution 'crappy' (since it does what it promises) you could suggest a better one
If a solution is crappy I can call it as I wish. I did not attack personally anybody. As such I really don't get your tone. And I suggested a better solution, a far better solution. It's called RioCar and it launched too many years ago. Too bad it was too ahead of its times.
By the way, you want to watch who you call 'my dear', some people take offence.
:eek: Well, if somebody would take offence for this... really, I'd feel sorry for him/her.

In any case, I'm bailing out from this thread. I came in trying to understand what the big problem was in developing a technology that's been available for several years. I did not want to offend anybody and I do not feel that not appreciating somebody's gadgets equals not appreciating their owners.

Sorry for anybody that doesn't feel the same, really.

More on topic, would you kindly describe how you navigate using the steering wheel controls? I'm curious about it. :D

Yes certainly. I find if you rotate the wheel in a clockwise direction the cars turns to the right and an anticlockwise rotation turns the car towards the left (assuming you are moving forward at the time) Using these simple rules, I can navigate all around Manchester quite successfully thanks. :P HTH

I didn't!! In the end they could only supply a Gateway 300 with the CDC changer support and the Video Output for the same price!!

I've had most of it fitted but i'm having to wait for the video output, which should be fitted on Wednesday, when they update the firmware to stop the CDC locking the changer out! I suspect this is becuse the 300 doesn't use a hard wired switch to swap between the CD Changer & the iPod, rather you have to use disk 6 & select track 9 on the MFD2.

From a user perspective it is similar to Clifford Alams that require you to use specific keys to move forwards by album or artist. However I prefer to switch it to use the iPod interface so I can select what I want whn I want (& No, I don't do this when driving!). It is the proably the best (or only) realistic solution to use at the moment. Sure it could be better, but I'm happy with it (once the changer is working properly) as it does eveything I need it to do.

I've fitted the lead into the glove box as well. This is so that when I'm using the Icelink Interface (control everything from the head unit) it can stay hidden, however when I use the iPod interface the lead is long enough to come out of the glove box and connect to the iPod which is held in a Belkin iDock in the front cup holder.

Once i've got it sorted I'll take some picture and post them.