Buying a Fabia Tomorrow!

Hi all,

As recommended by someone on MSE, I've joined your forum.

I'm going to look at, and hopefully buy, a Skoda Fabia 1.4 Comfort tomorrow.

It's a 51 plate with 43,000 miles on the clock. I've been told it has no major dents or scratches and I've done a (partial) HPI check which, with the only info I had, is clear - don't know VIN number or V5 reg doc serial number yet but will ring to add the information tomorrow.

My husband and I don't have much mechanical experience and have been asking on the MSE website for advice on what we should look for. I'll paste the advice given so far below but if anyone can add anything else I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Ask a local mechanic or someone who knows a bit more to go along with you as there are some awful used cars out there. IF this is not possible, you can only really look out for the obvious things:

1. Check that the oil is clean by opening the oil cap and making sure that there is no gunky mixture on the cap.

2. check that the tyre wear is even across the tyres.

3. Look out for excessive smoke too from the exhaust.

4. When driving the car, just look out for unexpected noises, make sure the gearchange is smooth, the car drives straight and the brakes are efficient.

5. Check all the docs and make sure chassis numbers all match up. Check the service history too.

6. Do a HPI check (www.hpicheck.co.uk if you want to get conned or www.rac.co.uk for the same check at 24.99) to make sure the car doesnt have a history of accidents or any outstanding finance.

Other than that, cant say muh more. Dont make it obvious that you dont know about the car. Do a bit of research about the model (power output, economy, spec) so the seller knows that you have background knowledge.

Hope that helps!!

Not that I know much about these things but:-

Check weather yours has a cam belt or chain as at 43,000 miles it could well be ready for a change (I didn't have a clue and ended up finding my way to this forum)

Ask them if they agree about the economy figures you say your expeting as I'm having problems with mine so if your not getting what you think you can say that they agreed to 35mpg etc. where as my dealer is trying to arguee with me now.

Like i said I don't know much about these things but I just bought one myself and like you didn't have much knowledge and now they're the 2 things I wish I had asked at the time.

What engine is it? The 1.4 16v is very different to the 1.4 MPI, and different problems will be seen on the different engines.

Off the top of my head; probably more to think of too with the fabia:

1) Check for leaky doors - evidence of water staining of the interior door trim? Can be fairly easily fixed though, and the door trim can be cleaned by the previous owner!

2) Remember to check the aircon if it matters to you.

3) Check tyres aren't all worn, as that'll effectively add 120 quid on to the purchase price.

4) Check rear washer; is prone to not working if not enough antifreeze has been added - again reasonably easy to fix.

5) Knocking from the front end over bumps could be a worn ARB (common fault). Probably

Somehting else mine went back for when you swith the blowers on settings 1,2&3 didn't work only 4 so if you steamed up you had to blow yourself out then switch off and blow yourself out again.

Mine doesn't sound great over large speed bumps although at the MOT it hd before collection it had failed on the suspension coil spring.

Thanks guys... It shows I don't know much about the car at all!

HPI check says it's 8V. Don't know what difference 8 or 16 V makes though. The seller's advert doesn't tell me much, don't even know if it has a CD player but I'm guessing not.

I was originally looking to buy a Toyota Yaris (hired one once for 3 weeks and loved it) but I seem to get a newer Fabia for the same money.

I'll print off your comments and add them to the ones I already have. Thanks.

I had the same choice, between a yaris and a fabia. I would still go for the fabia based on my 8 months ownership - pretty much all the problems I've had have been there from purchase (2nd hand), and easily fixed (e.g. the rear washer not working was because the pipe had come unclipped in the boot as the water had frozen).

I'm sure the yaris probably has a similar list of 'common' faults, so don't let the list put you off!

MPI = 8v

For more info do a search, but in short I think it's probably fair to say that the 1.4 MPI is better off in the city due to how economical it is, whilst the 16v is better in the country due to its greater power - that's judging from the posts I've read on here; I've never driven an 8v.

My wife drives a 1.4 MPI in the Fabia Silverline. This 8v unit has a chain rather than a cam belt. The performance is OK for driving around town etc. and when my octy was in for service I used the Fabia up and down the motorway and it was pretty good. The fuel economy is not that great, but I'm used to driving a diesel. before we bought the Fabia we were told that the early 8v suffered cooling problems, so check the water level and ask if there have been any problems? Does the car have FSH? The comfort model was the one we were looking for, but ended up with the silverline. The Fabia is much more roomier than the Yaris and usually cheaper.

Hi , I've just noticed this post! (Welcome to Briskoda BTW!:)) I have a 2000/ V reg 1.4 8V Comfort , and have run it for 2 years. Personally I think the engine is fine , I get approx 36MPG in town , and 45ish on a run (sometimes more if I take it easy!) . As yours is an 8V too you wont have to worry about the Cambelt (8V has a timing chain , which should last the life of the engine - it may get noisy after approx 100,000 miles but noisy chains can last for a while before they need changed) As previously mentioned , check for clonks on the front suspension , look for evidence of leaks from the doors , especially the rears , Fabias are notorious for this , although mine has never leaked! Check the power steering too , pumps , sensors and steering racks can give problems - the sensor isnt a bad job , but the pump and rack are easily

1.4 8v 2001 fabia classic. Not bought new or from skoda dealer but here is list of probs had since i got it (all warranty work mind)

wheel bearing replaced

thermostat replaced

many times won't alwas start first time, no garage seems to know why

sometimes lacks power

makes skoda rattle from dashboard

Did you get it??

Yes, I bought the car last Saturday.

Apart from a problem with the windscreen (see my other post :( ) I love it. Still not sure of all it's features yet.

Can't see that mine has the 'trip computer' thingy, tried to store our local radio station but need to study the manual again and can't seem to change the clock/thermometer to show time while driving rather than temperature.

I guess there are so many different models and maybe mine doesn't do these things. I'll have time tomorrow afternoon to get the manuals out and see.

Thanks for asking.

Hi glad you got it ok. RE the trip comp. , use the little toggle button on the end of the windscreen wiper stalk to cycle through all the functions till you come back to the time , the fact that is showing the temp means you do have a MFA computer BTW , basic cars only have a clock there. Is your Radio the standard Skoda one (MS 402?)

No problem. IIRC what you do to store the stations is just to tune the radio to the desired frequency and hold one of the numbered buttons (1-6) for a few seconds , that stores the station into the preset , but your manual will tell you for sure!!