(another) which compact camera thread

Some of the fairly recently released Panny Lumix models look very tempting. Not sure about prices though, but that 10x optical compact looks superb :eek:

Steve

If I was buying today I'd have one of the Panasonic Lumix 10x etc. Image stabilisation, brilliant lenses, compact size, price.

Only downside mentioned in review sites is the noise once you get above 100 ISO - some of that can be eliminated using software + the image stabilisation will allow you to use ISO 100 in situations where other cameras would be forced to use ISO 200 / 400 /800 and thereby be as noisy (if not more so).

For bang for bucks I think they are unbeatable.

+ the number of times I wish I had 10-12 times zoom instead of measly 6 times is pretty often.

Digital Camera Product Reviews: Digital Photography Review

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/cameraList.php3

Digital Cameras, Digital Camera Reviews - The Imaging Resource!

Megapixel.net

Steve's Digicams - Main Menu

PriceRunner UK - Compare Prices and Find Best Deals Online

those are the sorts of things I'm looking at. The Pannys with the big zoom is appealing but the pix quality issues concern me. I know I've got to make a compromise somewhere but not having the knowledge to make that decision is the tricky bit. The FZ8 looks good but I'd prefer something thats smaller and even shaped.

Currently using a nikon coolpix 3200 which is getting on for 3 years old. Only 3MP, 3x zoom is often not enough, the shutter lag is horrendous and low light is sooooooooo grainy and blurred. Anything would be a vast improvement.

those are the sorts of things I'm looking at. The Pannys with the big zoom is appealing but the pix quality issues concern me. I know I've got to make a compromise somewhere but not having the knowledge to make that decision is the tricky bit. The FZ8 looks good but I'd prefer something thats smaller and even shaped.

Currently using a nikon coolpix 3200 which is getting on for 3 years old. Only 3MP, 3x zoom is often not enough, the shutter lag is horrendous and low light is sooooooooo grainy and blurred. Anything would be a vast improvement.

OK - lot to think about.

Check what you use the camera for, also (say) if you were to get a 10x zoom if you'd be likely to use that function often because you now had it.

For low-light capabilities the recent Fujis look very good - just they don't have image stabilisation but rather increase the ISO (and thereby the noise) to compensate.

Low light - If using a flash the Panasonics are good at locking on in dark areas - wish my old Fuji s602 Pro was - but then again most new cameras are.

If you're not using a flash then the image stabilisation will help - but they are supposed to be noisy if you have to employ above ISO 200 (however, a lot of the noise will not be noticed if you are printing out or if you are viewing at 'normal' sizes). The best for low noise (Iso 1600 plus) in budget cameras do seem to be the Fujis - so if you're into taking piccies of foxes / whatever then these would seem best for you.

Make a checklist - 'must haves' and 'not as essential'

Work your way through the reviews and see which camera most 'fits'.

As difficult as buying a car (just, thank God, cheaper).