Coil Spring Breakage !!!

After almost 5 years & 53,000 miles the front N/S coil spring has broken suddenly. Amazingly whilst reversing out of my driveway. Headed round to my nearest garage, an independent, to get it sorted. New pair of supposedly VRs springs fitted on their advice. However the car now sits noticeably higher at the front than the rear. It feels softer & I suspect that standard Octavia springs have been fitted. The garage assures me that VRs springs were ordered, non genuine parts, ( probably my first mistake ! as they were a cheaper option). I have asked them to contact their supplier to confirm what had been sent. The request is does anybody out there have the correct standard ride height ( i.e. floor to wheel arch through wheel centreline) for a standard Mk1 Vrs ? I can then prove/argue that it is definately sitting higher than normal. Could be facing a further wallet blow to have genuine parts fitted. Currently waiting for the garage to confirm either way.

Don't hold out much luck ... I think I will be ultimately fobbed off. How should I progress if this proves to be the case ? Thanks for any replies in advance. :(

From the floor to the highest point of the wheel arch on mine is 665mm.

From the centre of the wheel to the highest point of the arch is 370mm.

It's hard to measure accurately due to the arch curve etc but I guess yours should be within 10mm or so of those!

I'm not making any further or more specific comments, but a brand new spring will be longer than a 5 year or 50_000 mile old one (same detail spec), due to a variety of metallurgical effects.

I have a Skoda RRP and tech spec brochure from 2004 which shows ground clearance for the vRS of 119mm measured from the bottom of the sill to the ground at a point just below the wing mirror. That figure is for a vehicle carrying average load and 3 passengers.

I had a similar thing happen to me, offside front spring snapped when I went into reverse just pulling out of the work car park around a year ago.

If you search through my previous posts you should find it.

The car was just out of warranty, but Skoda agreed to pay half the cost of a new spring and fitment.