Felicia 1.9 Gli Diesel Starting Probs

Good afternoon to all this is my first post so please be patient with me!

We have recently purchased at 'T' reg Skode Felicia 1.9 GLI and are having some problems regarding the starting. Sometimes the coil light comes on and she starts fine and other times it doesnt come on and we have problems starting it, there doesnt seem to be any routine with the problem, the engine could be hot or cold, the car could have done a journey or not. The car also seems a bit smelly as of diesel, this is our first diesel car!

Any ideas would be gratefully received as I dont know if it the glow plugs need changing or where to actually start with the diagnosis.

Thanks in advance

Coolant temp sensor; if it's not that, then things start getting expensive, because we start looking at the glow plug control box. The plug light should always come on when cold, regardless of the state of the glow plugs themselves.

If the glow plug light doesn't come on, turn the ignition off and back on - seems to work in a cube van.

That will work sometimes; my comment about the control box was based on having an iffy control box which gave exactly these symptoms in a Citroen ZX 19XUD. Replacing the said control box (under warranty) cured them.

Hi

Let us know how you get on , there could be others that it could be , but coolant temp sensors are very very common

I had 3 on my car then resorted to the petrol one

But try the diesel one first

It is a Skoda part only so you will need a Skoda dealer or try Butts Of Bawtry

Sarah

if you follow the hose that comes to out of the top of the radiator back to the engine.... there is an elbow attached to the cylinder head..... you cant miss it....

four pin plug!!

edit: iirc they are a bit of a sod to get to because it is under one of the fuel injector pipes

• 1 month later...