Knocking / Rattling noise

Hi Guy's,

I've got this loose sort of knocking / rattling noise that seems to be coming from the steering column . . . ?

I've recently changed the rubber top mounts and tonight I've changed the balljoints. Although this has helped I've still got the annoying rattling sound.

The swing arm bushes are fine, the steering rack is solid and the shocks are good. The steering wheel is solid and has no play in any direction, but it defintely sounds like it is coming from the steering column.

Any ideas?

Cheers,

Not sure if this applies here, but if there's a bolt-up mounting, are all the bolds secure?

Also, and this is a real one-off, I've heard of a case where a flexible joint had broken up internally.

I did think of that, but haven't checked it yet. If the bolts are tight but it's got play in it, do I just live with it?

Anyway I'll check it tonight.

I did think of that, but haven't checked it yet. If the bolts are tight but it's got play in it, do I just live with it?

Anyway I'll check it tonight.

In the case I was thinking of, the bloke was possibly (he found it in time) heading for total steering failure. The coupling that had failed in his case was a nylon doughnut type, with 6 bolts through it, and it came out in 4 bits! :eek:

In the case I was thinking of, the bloke was possibly (he found it in time) heading for total steering failure. The coupling that had failed in his case was a nylon doughnut type, with 6 bolts through it, and it came out in 4 bits! :eek:

Doooooode!!!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guy's,

Been having another look at this knocking noise and I think it is the steering rack.

Both u/j's on the steering column seem fine. The play seems to be the actual part of the rack that joins the lower u/j. Also the rack arms that join the wheels/suspension have play as well. DOH!!!!

I'm thinking the owner before done a lot of steering while still. Probably lived in a busy road and the parking was tight. Strange thing is though, it passed the MOT???

Can they be refilled with grease or anything?

Cheers,

Is there play when turning the steering wheel and looking at the tyres?

Also i notice you have changed the balljoints. I am planning on doing these this weekend and am not looking forward to the prospect. The problem i have is in the clamp bolt and nut are very badly rusted on so i am thinking of grinding the nut off. Will this allow the bolt to be knocked out easily do you think? This is the one thing that p***** me off about Skoda's in the quality of the bolts and nuts used throughout the car are pants.

There doesn't seem to be any play. Well not any more than I would expect for and old p-reg car. Any slight movement seems to make the wheels twitch. But if you flick the steering wheel fairly hard side to side there is a donking noise but not under normal conditions.

As for your balljoints I would spray plenty of WD40 on the night before. Even if the bolt snaps you should be able to knock it through with a punch. This would save grinding it. You'll probably need the grinder to remove the rivets that hold the balljoints to the wishbone, unless you already have the bolted type.

I always re-assemble with copper grease now. That stuff is the shiz. Worth it's weight in gold. :thumbup: Makes life a hell of a lot easier on repeat jobs.

if your rack is worn it's more than likely the pinion gear which is NFG. you can fill them up with grease but it wont make any difference. you can sometimes get steering racks re-con on exhange basis from most decent motor factors. when you say "the rack arms" or track rods:D have play in them, do you mean the joints or do you mean they move in and out when you wiggle the steering wheel??

if your rack is worn it's more than likely the pinion gear which is NFG. you can fill them up with grease but it wont make any difference. you can sometimes get steering racks re-con on exhange basis from most decent motor factors. when you say "the rack arms" or track rods:D have play in them, do you mean the joints or do you mean they move in and out when you wiggle the steering wheel??

Been quoted

not many people know this and its not listed in the haynes, but you can actually adjust the internal play of the steering rack on the felly.

its hard to get to, but heres how you do it!

follow the steering columb into the rack itself. Where they join it looks like a slightly bulged T junction. on the other side of this (bit facing the floor) is a 13mm nut embedded in the rack. Jack up the car, you will need to get right under it. find the nut (look near the cat converter and up the holes to the side of it) and attach your 13mm socket with an extension bar to a ratchet. have an assistant in the car ready to turn the wheel.

Turn the nut clockwise to reduce play (increases stiffness a little) until quickly turning the steering wheel 90 degrees in both directions no longer makes a knocking sound. You may need to loosen it a little if steering is too stif while driving.

I have adjusted mine and several others in this way, all of which were prior steering MOT failures and then passed with no prob. I was shown this by my local friendly skoda dealers!

not many people know this and its not listed in the haynes, but you can actually adjust the internal play of the steering rack on the felly.

its hard to get to, but heres how you do it!

follow the steering columb into the rack itself. Where they join it looks like a slightly bulged T junction. on the other side of this (bit facing the floor) is a 13mm nut embedded in the rack. Jack up the car, you will need to get right under it. find the nut (look near the cat converter and up the holes to the side of it) and attach your 13mm socket with an extension bar to a ratchet. have an assistant in the car ready to turn the wheel.

Turn the nut clockwise to reduce play (increases stiffness a little) until quickly turning the steering wheel 90 degrees in both directions no longer makes a knocking sound. You may need to loosen it a little if steering is too stif while driving.

I have adjusted mine and several others in this way, all of which were prior steering MOT failures and then passed with no prob. I was shown this by my local friendly skoda dealers!

Had a look in the Haynes lie book for a Favorit (haven't got a Felly one yet) and this is actually listed. It's called the Slipper adjustment and is described in the steering overhaul process in chapter 10. NiCE.

I have adjusted mine and it has made a small improvement to the knocking noises I'm getting. It has taken up the slack in the T-junction on the rack but I think my rack is too far worn for a total fix. Think I'll get a new rack on payday as it's only