Bonnet Lifter Assembly

GAFF

Just wondering if anyone had any trouble fitting these ? We found the the side of the bonnet that the lifter was on was sitting a little high once the Bracket was in place. Its back out of it at the moment, tbh we started it about 9pm when it was getting dark....Bad Idea (but one of the lads was able to help me :) )

I'm not too sure it the bracket is catching something under the bonnet or if its a case it's moved slightly on the hinge. I have it as original now, using the screw marks as locators :), and its vitually 100%.

The lifter bracket was catching on the scuttle Panel (I think thats what its called).

I took some pics today and done some modification to the lifter bracket....its definitely sitting a lot better now. I met up with another guy that got a Milotec one direct, we put his bracket onto his car and it was also doing the same thing.

The attached pictures might make it clearer, Its a pity I didn't realise before I had it painted as theres a fair bit of touching up required now. :(

15849.attach

15850.attach

15851.attach

15852.attach

The fabia lifter kit I have going at the moment does similar, but not to the extreme of that. As it's a new strut it seems to put enough pressure to lift the bonnet around 4mm or so. If you really look close you can tell, but for me it's fine and the function outweighs the slight initial rise in the bonnet. Your octy one looks a little more though to me, if you can get fingers under the side with the lifter on.

The fabia lifter kit I have going at the moment does similar, but not to the extreme of that. As it's a new strut it seems to put enough pressure to lift the bonnet around 4mm or so. If you really look close you can tell, but for me it's fine and the function outweighs the slight initial rise in the bonnet. Your octy one looks a little more though to me, if you can get fingers under the side with the lifter on.

Those pics were taken before I even attempted to fit the strut, so definitely a problem with the bracket. Also when I removed the bracket the bonnet was sitting perfectly.

take it bonnets sitting flush again? did you have to file much of the bracket or was it the panel? :confused:

It was the bracket I removed material from....see the last picture, the blue one is mine, your can see were I filed it, the silver one below is Czechmates untouched. Now I have filed right to the right edge of the picture shown. I've a Pain in the **** filing all day.

Word it be worth contacting Milotec about my findings ? Might wait to see how the other Group Buyers got on...I sent them all a PM :)

Just wanted to say a big Thanks to Mick for bearing with me today and helping me get the bracket on....hopefully he also learned a bit which will him help in when he tries fitting his :thumbup:

Sorry, did realise you were having probs Colm.

Colm,

Take a look here for my pics (sorry no specific photos tonight)

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/new-octavia/my-new-octy-vrs-finally/83907/3/

I haven't had had any probs. I did cheat and get the dealer to fit it though.

I had a look tonight with a torch and the cut in (indent) on the support mounting rail co-incides with the sealing rubber at the top of the engine bay infront of the plastic grill/mesh to catch leaves etc.

It does just touch the rubber and the mesh, but no deflection of the bonnet line or shut lines.

Just an idea: your washer looks a little proud. Refit top ball joint without the washer and then it may sit higher up (into bonnet)

Would a slight change to the two bolt positions on the hinging arm make a twisting correction?

Paul

As Jason says the Strut wanting to Extent is probably causing the little bit of lift I have at the moment, but its way better than the lift earlier.

I didn't get that far even. I've sprayed the bracket, removed the wing bolt, put in the small ball joint, torqued to 8nm (not exactly high for an M6!), and the damn top sheared off. I am not happy! Hopefully will be able to find a replacement at work, but most of ours are M8, and have a bigger ball diameter.

I'll let you know how it goes with the bracket though.

Phil

Just wanted to say a big Thanks to Mick for bearing with me today and helping me get the bracket on....hopefully he also learned a bit which will him help in when he tries fitting his :thumbup:

thats no bother at all colm,as you say it saved me a lot of messing about, i just hacksawed the excess piece out and sanded down, its now in the shed with its second topcoat on drying, saved a lot of time and hopefully it'll be a staight fit.

i even had time to adjust the rear lamp(s) cluster down to close the gap you helpfully pointed out :D, definitefully a lot better- might post a pic.

ps, those red arrows look cool however you did them :cool::)

ps, those red arrows look cool however you did them :cool::)

Photoshop

It sounds like a lot of people haven't fitted theres yet.

Btw Heres the latest picture of mine...that remind me I better go out and close the bonnet...its been open all evening letting the pint dry :)

15867.attach

Mine seems to be fine. I can see where the bracket rests on the rubber but not on the plastic mesh. I assume it resting on the rubber seal shouldn't cause a problem?

Mine seems to be fine. I can see where the bracket rests on the rubber but not on the plastic mesh. I assume it resting on the rubber seal shouldn't cause a problem?

Any pics of it attached ? Mine was definitely hitting the plastic, and by quite a bit.