Paint issue-how long is long?

About 2 months ago I noticed some paint damage on the roof of my new Octy. Looks like something is under the paint, maybe a piece of metal from welding? I don't know I'm not an expert!

Anyway took it to the dealers and only this week have they asked I take it in for a picture to be taken. Now they tell me Skoda want to have a look at it next week.

Would you say 2 months (or more now) is a bit too long for a defect to be apraised on a

Can't be too long if something is underneath - it must have been there from new, the car has 3 year warranty [and doesn't paint have a 6 year warranty these days?]

No doubt it was there from new, the car is only a few month old. I'm just getting a tad tetchy about the fact it has taken someone 2 months to even get round to asking for a photo and then deciding they want to have a look at it.

It is not a case of the customer being a bit fussy, there are sharp lumps under the paint and it looks like the paint has craked of the ridges as you can see a grey paint which I presume is undercoat. Surely the dealer should have told Skoda to just authorise a repair?

No doubt it was there from new, the car is only a few month old. I'm just getting a tad tetchy about the fact it has taken someone 2 months to even get round to asking for a photo and then deciding they want to have a look at it.

It is not a case of the customer being a bit fussy, there are sharp lumps under the paint and it looks like the paint has craked of the ridges as you can see a grey paint which I presume is undercoat. Surely the dealer should have told Skoda to just authorise a repair?

It sounds very much like a factory Quality control issue if it's under the paint. Not sure how you stand legally. Type in" paint disaster".. on forum search facility and see "Marwoods"

thread . It should be very informative for you. And I am sure if you send him a private message, (or otherwise ) Paul will be only to glad to point you in the right direction legally

as he has become very knowledgable on paint issues .Having had a terrible time with his

NEW car .

Regards,

Bob.

It sounds very much like a factory Quality control issue if it's under the paint. Not sure how you stand legally. Type in" paint disaster".. on forum search facility and see "Marwoods"

thread . It should be very informative for you. And I am sure if you send him a private message, (or otherwise ) Paul will be only to glad to point you in the right direction legally

as he has become very knowledgable on paint issues .Having had a terrible time with his

NEW car .

Regards,

Bob.

Yes I read through Marwoods posts which prompted my post - Marwood had his issue resolved a bit quicker than mine I think. I'll see what happens next week when Skoda inspect the car - if they do not authorise a repair there and then I'll have to see how I can take it further.

Our L&K is on a 52 plate with 119000 miles on it. Skoda have just repaired the tailgate under the paint warranty. Im guessiong if you have a legitimate claim Skoda will sort it for you

Two months........you are into the 'grey area'. To reject a car or have it replaced it needs to go back, ideally within two weeks.

The dealer is also obliged to act, once a fault has been reported, within a reasonable period of time. When did you report the defect to the dealer? My fault was reported and the car was initially inspected on the 4th of May after being handed over on the 23rd March. I reported the original fault plus the dealer's mess up in sorting it out on the 22nd of June. I had carefully washed the car 3 times by then. This was the first time I had put it in writing.

Previously I had spoken to the Service Manager who had seen pictures and 'researched' the issue. Using the CleanYourCar site I had posted pics before and after first washing the car in April.

To be fair to myself I didn't know what I was looking at in my paint and the 'hurley burley' of new parenthood delayed my action.

The lesson for anyone else reading....report the fault in writing asap!

HOWEVER, with the paint being affected on your roof it is not a simple case of correction. I would contact trading standards, but in your case I think you have a stronger 'not fit for purpose' case than I did.

My dealer told me that my fault was repareable so a replacement would not be authorised by Skoda. If a panel can be replaced and sprayed they will opt for that. But the roof may be different. My dealer told me if a car has a crease in its roof it can be replaced as it is not a simple case of just ordering a replacement.

This argument/advice, from a respected Skoda dealer, coupled with the warrenty factor may mean you have a stronger case in saying you want a replacement car.

Still it is all in a 'grey area' and it could take some time to resolve the matter. As I say contact Trading Standards and Skoda UK direct. Also PUT EVERYTHING IN WRITING AND TAKE PICTURES.

Can you post some?

You could consider a second independant opinion. I did. It will be worth it for peace of mind and also to establish your position with greater confidence. A little spent now could facilitate a more 'resonable' solution, especially if a partial refund becomes your choice of 'remedy'

I am not sure how a Refinisher or a Detailer could make good your paint if it is damaged to the extent I imagine. We may be talking at least a respray here and that throws up questions about who does it and quality control. Skoda do have access to Bentley's 'White Light Room' so they can, if they wish, really examine your paint work properly, Skoda UK have warrenty assessors they call upon to look at problems as assess Skoda's response. The 'White Light' was offered to me.

If the paint finish can not be made good and to your satisfaction, then you have the option to press for a partial refund. Not really what you want but you do have options, especially as the paint seems clearly to have been damaged at the factory and could be open to corrosion. Not fit for purpose in my opinion, but it is only my opinion at this stage.

My paint may well have been damaged at the factory but it is not a corrosion issue, mine is asthetic. (Well it is at the moment, unless I can establish from PD readings that it 's long term integrity has been shafted after what will be three corrections....then it may be a partial refund issue after all. Iain is going to do before and after readings, and I have the ones before Morris had a crack at it too!)

If you want to ask me anything at all, please PM me if you think I can help. Wardy helped me with the paperwork and so I can help you there, if you need to.

Keep the dealer onside and be as nice as possible. They will want to help you, but are going to need Skoda UK to "come to the party" (my dealer's words). No dealer wants negative publicity, and the bottom line is they will want you to leave them alone.....sorry........to achive 'customer satisfaction'!

Nothing cynical there! Ahem!

In the meantime I wish you the very best, will be rooting for you.

Don't hesitate to ask. :)

Paul.

Paul

Many thanks for that detailed post! I've read your saga and I'm glad it's heading in the right direction now.

Apart from the odd rattle which the dealer needs to have a look at I'm happy with the car, with the exception of the paint defect (that is if it is paint and not metal underneath the paint...). My main concern is what will the repair look like.

What ever it is will need the paint stripping back. If it is some contaminant in the paint the sanding down should take it out. If it is a defect on the sheet metal again I hope the sanding will take it down. Either way I suspect it would be a big-ish job for a defect the size of a few mm by a few mm.