Fabia: Axle stands / jacking

pyromorph

Hi,

If I want to stick my Fabia on Axle stands, either front or rear.. where is a good place to jack it?

I am aware of the jacking points on the sills.. but they are not wide enough to jack and place axle stands on...

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil.

here's a good place

PIC9.jpg

dont jack on the sill because it will bend like a drinking straw... i suggest if you want to use axle stands on the sill. get a small block of wood and put a groove in it that locates over the sill

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Try and get under where the rear beam mounts to the body.

Sorry to bump this thread...

I was looking at this and I appear to have the handbrake cables going over the area where this rear beam bushes and mounting area is. Am I looking at the wrong area? Ideally I need to get both rear wheels off the ground to do the rear shoes and handbrake on the SDi soon. Any ideas?

TIA

Nick...........

I was looking at this and I appear to have the handbrake cables going over the area where this rear beam bushes and mounting area is. Am I looking at the wrong area? Ideally I need to get both rear wheels off the ground to do the rear shoes and handbrake on the SDi soon. Any ideas?

I think I know where you are talking about, without a photo I can't be exact. I've jacked on the corner of the rear beam, you need a decent garage jack to get in there tho.. not a cheapy halfords jack... it's a bit awkward because the wheel is in the way and the point I jack on is behind it.

Don't jack on the sill... been there done that, wish I hadn't.

Other tips, make sure the handbrake is off and the car is in reverse before you jack (assuming you are on a flat), possibly chocking the front wheels to be doubly safe.

1. If you've not had the drums off before it's going to be a pain to get them off.

2. Make sure you sand/grind the edge off the drums. When you feel the inside edge of the drums there will be a lip. You need to remove this lip so the drum goes back smoothly.

3. Once the drum lip has been removed, "twitch" the pads out very very slowly. The adjuster mech is very very flimsy and it's dead easy to over "click" and find yourself cursing. Done that before.

4. Make sure there is some friction between the pads and the drum, but not so it's impossible to turn the wheel. Make sure both drums are about the same. It's all in the feel really.

5. Don't be surprised if one side needs more adjusting that the other. My back right (drivers) always needs more adjusting.

6. Don't change the shoes unless you need to. I've done 65k over 8 years on the original pads and it still has some meat left on them.

Hope this helps

Phil.