Leaky Felicia Sunroof

Hi,

My 1998 Felicia suffers from a leaky sunroof, but only when the car is moving. (Yes, I do know about closing the roof!) This is the third time that this situation has occured thr first time being 'fixed' under warranty by Wrynhams of Salisbury while they were Skoda dealers and the second time by a local non-Skoda firm.

The roof is a non-sliding type fitted to standard 1.3 Felicias. It would appear that the rubber seal around the plastic landing had perished in places and although the seal is good enough to keep the rain out when running there is enough vibration to cause it to leak.

Does anyone know where I can get a new rubber seal - I have tried sevaral Skoda dealers on the internet but do not seem to having a lot of luck in that direction?

Yours hopefully,

Alan.

Try looking up a fella by the name of Jorily on Ebay. He seems to sell a selection of what can only be described as 'random' Skoda stuff. Couldn't see any sunroof seals on there, but you might get lucky if you give him a ring!

HTH :thumbup:

I've tried Butts, in fact I downloaded their catalogue (Adobe) but I can't find the relevant part there. Am I missing something? All I can find is 'sunroof and blind for

Have you tried giving it a clean? When I am on the move and it starts raining and I leave the roof open - and close it when rain gets heavier - it leaks. Its fine otherwise, I think its to do with the rain getting under the seal.

My garage has done both the rubber seal, and the seal for around the metal (aluminium trim).

Give the garage I go to a ring - see if he can send you a seal - 01584 872584 (Overton Service Station in Ludlow)

• 1 month later...

I spent a couple of days cleaning the rubber seal with some Silicone rubber cleaner as the seal appeared to be in good condition - I could not get a 5 thous feeler between the seal and glass anywhere so I reseated the seal with some fresh Silicone rubber and initially it appeared OK.

Well the seal/glass interface was OK but the leak is coming from between the plastic trim and the roof. I do not know what sort of a job this is to do as for a start most of the screws holding the inner and outer trims together have corroded (Plus-Gas not successful) in and I am reluctant to go any further because of the danger of snapping them off.

Has anyone else had experience of this problem, and if so how did they go about solving it?

As the car is now over nine years old and I am unlikely to trade it in (short of winning the Lottery) I am now considering running a fine bead of Silicone rubber around the affected area and leaving it at that.

most of the screws holding the inner and outer trims together have corroded (Plus-Gas not successful) in and I am reluctant to go any further because of the danger of snapping them off.

Has anyone else had experience of this problem, and if so how did they go about solving it?

You wont have any long term success running a bead of silicon around the outside of the frame, only by removal, cleaning and resealing will you cure the leak. Don't be afraid of screwheads snapping off, it's no problem drilling new holes next to any sheared screws to fit a new one. I've had to do this many times and have fitted 100s of glass hatch sunroofs in the past.

I have found that mine leaks because the mechanism (which seems to simply be a ball in a circular thing with different heights) doesn't seem to keep the back end of the sunroof fully down to maintain a waterproof seal. I have taken to wrenching the lever as hard as possible and am awaiting heavy rain to see if it leaks (at least there's no air/breezy type sound anymore on the motorway.) Used a hose on jet to test it directly on the seal and it did leak later when moving (through what appears to be some sort of hole in the rubber seal, but is only on the inside of the seal) but only a few drops, so I'm hoping it won't leak in the rain. At least it's been good to have the duct tape off a while and open it with the recent warm weather.

• 2 weeks later...
You wont have any long term success running a bead of silicon around the outside of the frame, only by removal, cleaning and resealing will you cure the leak. Don't be afraid of screwheads snapping off, it's no problem drilling new holes next to any sheared screws to fit a new one. I've had to do this many times and have fitted 100s of glass hatch sunroofs in the past.

:mad: Well I managed to remove all of the screws one way or another, but the problem that I have now is that I cannot get the inner and outer trims apart. It would appear that some clown has used something like 'Superglue' to stick the trims together I am afraid to use force to attempt to separate the trims for fear of damaging the roof.

It looks like it will have to be 'Plan B' the Silicon rubber treatment.

My wife's old Fiesta had a much better sunroof in that it had a built-in gutter with drain pipes running down the door pillars. Why Skoda could not come up with somthing similar beats me, talk about 'Spoiling the ship for a ha'porth of tar'.

But in my opinion that just about sums up my Felicia.