Skoda Octavia 1.9TDI Elegance - HELP!

Good morning,

I'm seriously considering purchasing the above hatchback. Just want to know if I'm paying over the odds for it.

It's a 2002 (52 Reg) Octavia and is pretty good condition apart from a few scratches and 3 small chips on the boot.

It's done 61,000 miles and has a full service history. One owner. Nice to drive. Timing belt changed recently.

The garage has it on the forecourt at

Hi and welcome.

The water pump and belt tensioners should done at the same time as the cambelt and IMHO also the AUX belt as this is very close to the cambelt.

The price seems ok, but not stunning IMHO.

Trip computer is standard on a Octy Elegance and is operated by a nobble on the end of the right indicator stalk.

Make sure the turbo is kicking in properly as they have a habbit of sticking.

If you do buy it I would advising changing the air filter every 10k miles.

Have a look on the Vauxhall site and put its details in under "Value your car". This will find the book px price of the Octavia and give you a target price. If, for example, it comes up at 5k then a 1k dealer markup is probably acceptable, but if it comes back at 3k then you know they're pushing it.

Water pump is recommended to do at cambelt change time (replace it with one with a metal impeller) and yes there's a trip computer - operated using the rocker switch on the end of the wiper stalk...

Chris

More on the trip computer (presuming the car doesn't have the factory option sat nav).

The display is about the size of the mileometer, but is set in the rev counter. It shows time, available range on current fuel, average speed on trip, trip average fuel consumption, instantaneous consumption, ambient temperature, and mileage the car thinks is due til next service. Cycle them using the rocker switch on the end of the RH stalk, and cancel (some of them) using the reset button underneath same.

Other kit you should have and work includes:-

Full climate control (which will blow Arctic cold if working correctly)

4 electric windows, with 1-touch up and down on the fronts

2 remote control keyfobs with a range of at least 50 feet

Stereo radio-cassette, with a 6 CD stacker inside the LH rear wing

Alloys, fitted with 205/55R16W tyres

Security lock and rear window switch isolators in the driver's door armrest

Electric tilt and slide sunroof

Front foglights (it doesn't look like it; they're the projector-style lenses in the headlights, but they do work as fogs; I've tried them)

Owner's manual. There's a lot of kit, and a lot of it's configurable.

Possible optional kit would include half-leather, sat nav, reverse sensors, various load securing bits...

The water pump doesn't seem to be as fragile on the diesels as on the hotter-running petrol engines (esp the 1.8T).

Thanks again everyone. Some great info there.

Hammett - how are you finding the car so far? Have to say that I was very impressed with the Octavia when I drove one. Felt very solid on the road and also had a bit of zip.

It's all a bit of a gamble I know but when you are paying fairly decent money it's nice to have as much info as possible!!!!

I would say hand on heart that it is the best car I've ever owned. I find it pleasing to the eye, comfortable on long journeys, handles well for a biggish car. I also find it very economical, generally get over 50 mpg from crusing at around 85 on the motorway. I find also that it has enough punch to make me smile whenever I press the accelerator to the floor, but I don't make a habit of it.

Hope this helps.

Yep!!! Picked it up on Tuesday. Lovely to drive and am very impressed so far. Got a bit obsessed with the trip computer on the way home. Got her up to 57.7 mpg at one point which was pleasing!!!

Feel like it's a solid car and it cruises perfectly well.

Put my foot down on the dual carriageway on one occasion and WHOOSH!!!!

Very, very impressed and a big thanks to everyone for your advice!

There's just one tip I'd give you as a new Octy owner.

If the hatch lid is very wet, lift it slowly,

as the water pours from the channel at the bottom of the curved glass,

into the open boot. You'll soon learn.

That's my only gripe after 95k & 3.5 years of octy ownership.

Happy motoring .... Darren