Are all Felicia's radio circuitry bypassing the fuse box? Mine seems to be fed directly from the battery. When I remove the fuse marked radio from the box, everything else on the circuit goes but the radio:confused:

This mightn't normally be a problem but the radio that was in mine when I got it, had a short and the display lights were permanently on. So as a result it wore down the battery.

I replaced it with a radio that didn't have a car light function and hey presto, problem solved. I'm selling it now and want to keep my CD player, so I have a different Blaupunkt radio cassette to replace the one that was in it. Hoping I won't have the same problem.;)

it shouldnt be wired direct to the battery, but if its like my brothers one then the radio always has power, even when the key is removed. This was confirmed by looking at the ISO connector, and there is a small wire loop between both 12V supplies on the car side.

that true

and i think its brillaint, my mates dont. But they are lazy and cant be bothered to turn theres off after driving, and on again when they drive off.

however i was under the impression that on modern stereo's you have the option to change it to ignition live. rather than permanent live.

out of the box a headunit will run without chaning any cables

to how the car usually runs either permanent live or ignition live.

If i have my new headunit in my car it works via permanent live.

If I plug the same headunit into my m8's car it works via ignition only.

there should be both a permanent live and switched live from the ignition. maybe they're plugged in to the unit the wrong way round. common problem.

nope:) i've got a felicia dashboard loom in my hand and there is only a permanant live feed to the radio

I had the grundig type cassette radio and in the setup you could select whether it went on and off with the ignition. Hold down expert or audio or something for a few seconds and in jumps into setup. All in the radio manual (if you have one!).

DaveF

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone,

Basically you've answered what my 12v test light told me too, that there is a permanent live feed on the ignition and memory terminals on the ISO connector. In Ireland we got blaupunkt radio cassettes as standard. That gizmo on the Grundig stereo sounded useful, but how could it tell when the ignition was on or off if it's a permanent live?

Thanks everyone,

Basically you've answered what my 12v test light told me too, that there is a permanent live feed on the ignition and memory terminals on the ISO connector. In Ireland we got blaupunkt radio cassettes as standard. That gizmo on the Grundig stereo sounded useful, but how could it tell when the ignition was on or off if it's a permanent live?

Precisely! It never worked on mine and I'm going to change to a switched live circuit before long. I can't be arsed to keep switching the radio on each time I get in the car!

I changed to a switched live circuit.

I used a scotchlok, a length of wire, and I think it was a female bullet connector.

The female bullet connector is attatched to the wire and at the back of the stereo I ulled out the bullet connector from the ISO connector and plugged this into the socket (nearly all stereos have this ability as they let you swap two wires incase the live and switched are reversed in your car).

I ran the length of wire to the fusebox and used the scotchlok to hook it up to a switched earth. I figured out which it was using haynes manual and a multimeter. I think the wire was f/5 on my favorit fusebox (it makes more sense when you take the fusebox out and have a good look at it) but do check.

Only thing is now I cannot turn my stereo on without having the key in the ignition. Cool thing is when I turn off the ignition my stereo puts down the front and beeps to remind you to take it with you. Sweet.

The permanent live shouldn't be a problem though so long as you turn the stereo off and take the face with you.

Worked for me but I'm not liable for any damage etc etc. :)

Edit: oh yeah! Make sure there is a fuse somewhere between the wire from the fusebox and the stereo. There are normally fuses at the back of stereos.