Vag com and air con

sms

from lowest seting min anything from 7.5 to 16 at front of vent with temp probe against vent,not all reach 7.5 but anything up to 10 will be very cold{my furby is 8 }but its just had condenser repair and regas month ago so still very cold at min,dealer should be able to check pressure in 10 min he will know right away if any probs with readings hope this helps

i held a temp guage in front of the vent last week when it was hitting around the 25-30c the vent temp with air con on was 12c so it looks like its working but surely it should be lower?

The air con will only lower the air temp by a certain temperature(Delta T), take 12 degrees C as Delta T for example.

If the air coming in is at 30 Degrees then the evaporator will only be capable of lowering it to 18 degrees. If the temp coming in is 20 degrees then the air off the evap will be 8 degrees. That's why the recirc must be put on when the outside air is ruddy hot. If not then the air con has an impossible task ahead.

That's the simplest way to look at it, there are other factors to consider like latent heat/humidity etc but that's too important here.

The best test is to feel the aluminium compressor suction pipe that's in the engine compartment, if it is cold to the touch and sweating nicely then the refrigerant side of things is working properly. **AT YOUR OWN RISK**

If the pipe is less than cold and not sweating then that means there is a high suction superheat which equates to a low gas charge.

You say the A/C kicked in at a higher road speed, is the condenser fan(s) working OK?

Got it done, the garage said they dont just regas cos someone thinks its not working. he explained the whole car has hot air and needs to cool it senario, so i explained car in shade all day and cool inside, air con blowing cool but not cold air. The garage said it would need to measure the pressure, empty it and measure the pressure and refill it and measure the pressure to see if it needed re gassing. Basically its regassed now even through they said it didnt need doing and so far does fill a bit cooler, will check this out on a hot day and report back.

When I had the boxster a/c repaired on a hot day, the guy that did it put a thermometer on the air outlet to check the temperature of the air and IIRC with the climate set to "LO" was outputing something like close to 5c. The A/C system is very effective and should output very chilled air, even in hot air. The BMW I had on holiday in spain, where the temp was nearly 40c, was able to cool the interior very quickly and maintain that cool temerature despite being in direct sunlight.

my astra could cool the car in minutes then leave the fan on speed one (of four) and by the time you got to your destination you didnt want to get out as you were really cool, this octy its on 4 of 4 and you rather get out as it doesnt seem cool enough (on a hot day). but lets see how time goes now and ill report back, will thermometer it later and see what the new temp is.