Fabia vRS (SE) New or Used?

Evening All

My vRS will be three next month. So I have to decide whether to MOT it, four new tyres etc. or go for a new one.

I'm a driver trainer so the mileage is high (95K).

I would like the SE, mainly for the leather seats. The pale grey cloth has been a right pain!

The Skoda web site reveals a couple of used low mileage examples. Both 07 plates but each with only a 12 month warranty.

Why can't I have the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty?

And anything else I should look out for?

Cheers,

Larry

Evening All

My vRS will be three next month. So I have to decide whether to MOT it, four new tyres etc. or go for a new one.

I'm a driver trainer so the mileage is high (95K).

I would like the SE, mainly for the leather seats. The pale grey cloth has been a right pain!

The Skoda web site reveals a couple of used low mileage examples. Both 07 plates but each with only a 12 month warranty.

Why can't I have the remainder of the manufacturer's warranty?

And anything else I should look out for?

Cheers,

Larry

That advert is rubbish I'm afraid. All new Skodas come with a full 3 year manufacturers warranty.

The 12 month one only comes with cars that have exceeded this (over 3 years old) and are sat on a dealers forecourt (mine is an example of this).

The Skoda 3 year warranty is much more comprehensive than the 12 month jobby and covers pretty much everything.

The leather in the SE is nice but you don't get the door cards done and you end up with a stuttery BLT engine. If it were me, I'd get a 55 plate example with lowish miles, lots of kit and then slap in a Seat Surgeons leather retrim. It'd probably come to less than an SE and won't hesitate on gentle throttle (which learners will undoubtedly be doing a lot of).

Nothing against SE owners, I just think a tweaked older one can be better value for money.

That advert is rubbish I'm afraid. All new Skodas come with a full 3 year manufacturers warranty.

The 12 month one only comes with cars that have exceeded this (over 3 years old) and are sat on a dealers forecourt (mine is an example of this).

The Skoda 3 year warranty is much more comprehensive than the 12 month jobby and covers pretty much everything.

The leather in the SE is nice but you don't get the door cards done and you end up with a stuttery BLT engine. If it were me, I'd get a 55 plate example with lowish miles, lots of kit and then slap in a Seat Surgeons leather retrim. It'd probably come to less than an SE and won't hesitate on gentle throttle (which learners will undoubtedly be doing a lot of).

Nothing against SE owners, I just think a tweaked older one can be better value for money.

More scaremongering re a stutter that doesn't affect all vehicles. Please don't be so sensationalist about things.

More scaremongering re a stutter that doesn't affect all vehicles. Please don't be so sensationalist about things.

Ok, perhaps not ALL of them, but enough for it to become a concern for many (do a search for vRS stutter and you'll see what I mean). I know if I were to buy one with a BLT engine I'd be looking out for it.

If the latest ones came with the SUK official fix then that would be handy, but after all of them were plagued with leaking doors that never got corrected as standard on the later ones I'd be hesitant (forgive the pun) about believing it.

Thye one thing I do like about the SE leather though is the blue piping and the number of the car embossed into the seat. Not sure you can have that with a Seat Surgeons job, only custom stitching.

Ok, perhaps not ALL of them, but enough for it to become a concern for many (do a search for vRS stutter and you'll see what I mean). I know if I were to buy one with a BLT engine I'd be looking out for it.

If the latest ones came with the SUK official fix then that would be handy, but after all of them were plagued with leaking doors that never got corrected as standard on the later ones I'd be hesitant (forgive the pun) about believing it.

Thye one thing I do like about the SE leather though is the blue piping and the number of the car embossed into the seat. Not sure you can have that with a Seat Surgeons job, only custom stitching.

I'm on my second and I've never had leaking doors or a stutter. Both had BLT engine codes.

Hi Guys

Thanks for all your replies.

I've had confirmation that if and when I find one it will come with the balance of the manufacturer's warranty. The web site ads use some sort of template apparently which leads to the error.

My friendly dealer is on the case but, as you all have said, a vRS (SE) is like hen's teeth at the moment. We have a number of leads but I'm saying no more!

I will keep you posted.

Off now to read about the BLT stutter. Nothing to do with the sandwich, I suppose?

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Afternoon all,

Well I've got one and it is outside now!

To pick up where I left off. My friendly local dealer contacted the two Skoda garages who had a SE advertised on the web, but neither would allow him to sell the car to me. So much for dealer network team work!

So it was down to me and with the help of my credit card and mobile phone I had a deposit accepted before close of business on the same day.

I went for the ex-demonstrator from Faintree Garage in Bridgnorth, Shropshire. Advertised as 2,000 miles it was only 1,500 when I collected it on Monday.

It is number 166 and I will enter that on Stu's poll.

I think I might have experienced the 'stutter' but it is very minor and seems to be easily resolved by a gear change down?

I was now, of course, left with the problem of four new tyres, MOT and six months tax before I could sell my current vRS. First call was to my friendly tyre dealer. Without prompting, he said "how much do you want for it?". I showed him the valuation from friendly local dealer and he said "I'll have it".

So I am happy as Larry. (Ho Ho).

Larry

PS: One more question. On the drive back from Bridgnorth I was getting 60mpg plus. Cruise control set at 70. Which is more than I was getting on my current vRS. Which I must confess, I run on supermarket diesel. Do you guys recommend the BP Ultra (or whatever it is called?).

Put some Shell V Power Diesel in it, I have done fo the last 5 tanks and I'm getting at least 4-6 MPG more. (I don't drive any different, last time I had it at 54 MPG was when I was running it in 50k ago :rofl: ).

It's a tad more expensive but I think it works out about the same if you take into consideration the more MPG.

I agree with glider, ther supermarket antifreeze additive is not as good as a main station.

Afternoon all,

To pick up where I left off. My friendly local dealer contacted the two Skoda garages who had a SE advertised on the web, but neither would allow him to sell the car to me. So much for dealer network team work!

So it was down to me and with the help of my credit card and mobile phone I had a deposit accepted before close of business on the same day.

I went for the ex-demonstrator from Faintree Garage in Bridgnorth, Shropshire. Advertised as 2,000 miles it was only 1,500 when I collected it on Monday.

It is number 166 and I will enter that on Stu's poll.

I think I might have experienced the 'stutter' but it is very minor and seems to be easily resolved by a gear change down?

I was now, of course, left with the problem of four new tyres, MOT and six months tax before I could sell my current vRS. First call was to my friendly tyre dealer. Without prompting, he said "how much do you want for it?". I showed him the valuation from friendly local dealer and he said "I'll have it".

So I am happy as Larry. (Ho Ho).

Larry

PS: One more question. On the drive back from Bridgnorth I was getting 60mpg plus. Cruise control set at 70. Which is more than I was getting on my current vRS. Which I must confess, I run on supermarket diesel. Do you guys recommend the BP Ultra (or whatever it is called?).

Would you mind letting me know how much you paid for the se as I want to keep my eye on the used values?

Cheers

Either Shell or BP fuel is good, even better in winter when supermarket brands get a really crap anti freeze additive. Round our way Shell have been competative on price, even beating Tescos for a while now.

Fair play to shell, I have seen a few of their garages atleast matching Tesco also. There is a Texaco station 3 miles from the Texaco Refinery and its a rip off.

Afternoon all,

Extremely nice one :thumbup:

Re: fuel. Treat it to some Millers Diesel Power Sport 4. Do a search, been using it (and older variant) for some 18 years and cannot recommend it highly enough.

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/group-buys-promotions/5-litres-millers-power-sport-4-feeler-thread/84086/

PS: One more question. On the drive back from Bridgnorth I was getting 60mpg plus. Cruise control set at 70.

The trip computers are notoriously inaccurate. I went over the Pennines to Blackburn and back last weekend and averaged 71mpg according to my trip computer...

There are several threads on here about it.

Afternoon all,

Please tell me the deal was done more than 2 weeks ago! I went into Faintree's when I was on the hunt for a vRS and they told me that there was absolutely no way they could get hold of an SE for me, new or ex-demonstrator

:(