Any Part P Electricians Out There?

DaveH

If so a quick question if i may. We're presently having some building work done, new bathroom, new bedroom, old bathroom split into a toilet and study. My question is how far reaching are the regulations? Is it just the new bits of wiring that have to comply or since we're now altering things, the whole house including existing wiring. A couple of examples:

presently the house has a single ring for all the sockets and a single circuit for all the lighting. Will we now be forced to split the circuits?

The gas and water pipework is presently not cross bonded, will we be made to get that done?

I've been quoted £4.5k for a full rewire and i'm kinda keen to get this down somewhat!

Part P only covers the bits that are touched unless you change the consumer unit then it will cover anything that is connected to it aswell so basically everything in the house.

4.5K!! :eek:

how big is the house and are you looking at a straight forward re-wire as i know someone that could it for a lot less money ;)

House will be a 3 bed detached by the time we have finished, just a bog standard house really. I was only considering a rewire as the whole house needs decorating and it seemed a sensible time. I was expecting £1.5 to 2k, not £4.5k! It doesn't really need doing, it was done in 1970 however its PVC cable which is physcially in good condition and breezed a Mega test when my dad and myself tested it a year ago (he's a retired electrician).

Seems like the secret is not to change the consumer unit!!

I'm quite capable of doing the work myself but its not easy to do that anymore. Wouldn't Sheffield be a bit of a trip for 'your mate' ;)?

have no house? how exactly can a rewire destroy a house?

Well, if you let me re-wire the house then I could bet my left ******* that it wouldnt be long before you didnt have much of a house left

04_fire.jpg