America!

saunaking

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So we are stereotyping people now depending on where the come from? I'm not sure I want to be stereotype as a typical english person. :rolleyes:

Sounds like discrimination to me! Wasn't there a thread about that recently :rubchin:

Chris

From my time in the U.S. I always understood that Americans like the English and consider them allies and hold them in a very high regard. True they may occasionally chuckle about some customs and such, but for years they loved and respected the queen and the princess (as observers). Too bad that may no go two ways anymore.

From my time in the U.S. I always understood that Americans like the English and consider them allies and hold them in a very high regard. True they may occasionally chuckle about some customs and such, but for years they loved and respected the queen and the princess (as observers). Too bad that may no go two ways anymore.

No it does go both ways.

The problem is that many people judge America now by the buffoon sitting in the White House :)

I'm not stereotyping anybody... I just think it's funny how the brits are perceived by the French, Germans etc... and vice versa.

I'm by no means a stereotypical Brit :D

Paul, Governments and leaders (unless you are G.Brown) are elected by the poeple, therfore it is th responsibiliy of the voters as well. 48 hours after the Madrid bombings the people stood up and changd the government, you just have to stand up!

Paul, Governments and leaders (unless you are G.Brown) are elected by the poeple, therfore it is th responsibiliy of the voters as well. 48 hours after the Madrid bombings the people stood up and changd the government, you just have to stand up!

Maybe if enough of us stood up... Labour keep managing to scrape back in though... although I heard that in the last election if they'd just counted the votes in England and not Scotland.... Conservative would have won :confused:

Oh I don't know...Falklands, Bosnia, Kosovo, the Gulf, Afganistan - as a military force the strength has always belied the relatively small size. And now it's not spread throughout the world trying to keep restless natives under control.

If we were attacked in a "traditional" sense I suspect that we would be able to repel most attempts.

However, the likelihood of a "traditional" attack taking place is pretty remote - high-level air strikes and guerilla warfare are much more effective.

Rob.

The difference is, this government doesn't have the balls to do what is necessary. Falklands for example - Maggie had more balls than any of this pathetic lot ;) they wouldn't do it if it happened now. That is why we're no longer great

The difference is, this government doesn't have the balls to do what is necessary. Falklands for example - Maggie had more balls than any of this pathetic lot ;) they wouldn't do it if it happened now. That is why we're no longer great

They seemed pretty keen to get into Iraq (again) and Afghanistan... :D

Rob.

We dont have to do such things now because of our strategic deterrant, and thats why we get so little hassle from invading nations.

Maybe if we still had a task force similar to the size we had during the falklands then we would be consider that route, but even then we were running on empty.

I have to say that whilst i do not like some of the things that are going on in this country of ours, i am still proud to be British. I also have to say that if anyone feels so strongly that this country is so rubbish then whay don't you leave??

I have been to the US several times and thought the people were excellent. In fact i think some people in this country could take a lesson from some amercians when it comes to manners and being polite.

The thingi s in this country people complain about stuff but are not actually prepared to get off their backsides and try to do anything about the things they are not happy with.

Not looking for any arguments but that is just my 2p worth:)

if anyone feels so strongly that this country is so rubbish then whay don't you leave??

Because its just THAT easy :rolleyes:

Other countries have a brain, they don't just let any riff raff in!

It's not that hard. You have the right to live and work in any EU country you choose.

Indeed, but the language barrier is what makes it difficult for most. Business language is English but people still need to be able to speak the local language as well.

Also, a lot of countries dont pay quite so well, or have good salaries but higher tax rates.

I'd like to live somewhere more sunny (again), for sure, it's not all about the £ and I'd take a smallish pay cut to work in Barcelona or something!

Edit: It's a shame all the warm English speaking countries are either miles away (Aus) or difficult to get into in the first place (US).

That M4rkj chap on here managed to move to Canada now that I remember, too.

The thingi s in this country people complain about stuff but are not actually prepared to get off their backsides and try to do anything about the things they are not happy with.

Not looking for any arguments but that is just my 2p worth:)

Well said Rob. Another thing wrong with the people of this country is we're not prepared to pay for anything. All we want is income tax cuts and then complain when the tax on petrol and booze goes up to compensate.

I know there's gross inefficiency in government services, and billions are squandered on benefit cheats, but at the end of the day, if we want good health services, schools and transport systems then we've got to pay for it.

I don't have any answers for this, but I know I'd be happy to pay more taxes if I knew they were being spent on helping the truly needy and providing services and infrastructure for everyone.

Because its just THAT easy :rolleyes:

Other countries have a brain, they don't just let any riff raff in!

Surely if there are record numbers leaving this country then it can't be THAT hard to find another country where the grass is greener can it?

I don't see record people leaving but not being allowed entry to other countries:confused:

I do actually have personal experience of the process involved with leaving this country and from my experience it is not actually that hard to be able go go to another country, providing you have some sort of skill to offer.

I remember the fuel protests here several years ago. Lots of people, probably a fair few on here complain at the price of fuel. Then when a protest is organise start panic buying at stupid prices:confused:

If the all the people who moaned about fuel prices just filled their car up once and then only used it when they really needed to instead of panic buying perhaps things may have been different IMHO.

The biggest problem is the 'Special relationship', wherever America goes , the UK follows, in just about everything, some good some bad.

Areas where we have followed

Coffee shops both 1960's & todays Starbucks.

Freedom to travel by car.

Oversized supermarkets.

Out of town shopping centres

Fast food.

Materialistic attitude.

Iraq

Afghanistan ( If the Russians couldn't do the job 10+ years ago, what makes the politicians think that US & UK can do it)

I heard a quote from a journalist that whatever America does, Britian will follow within 3 years, and within 10 years mainland europe will adopt, so far so true (except for police with guns).

I thought the replies were very educational and well thought out(NOT) to the joke letter, and shows the mentality and quite scary nationalistic pride that the yanks have for their country, almost as ferverent as the Islamic religion, only difference is that the yanks didnt start burning Union Jacks.

Whilst I enjoyed my holiday there, the service industry is very welcoming ( because they are after your money), the constant alegance to the flag and singing the national anthem can be overbearing and quite disconcerting.