1.4 MPi

I have a '02' reg fabia classic MPi, (35K miles) vary happy with it - just a few 'creature comforts' the classic misses.

I have found the fuel consumption a little high though and from looking at past posts i have got mixed feedback from other drivers.

I get 40/42 MPG when im nice to it on motorway <70MPH

37/38 MPG normal at 70-80MPH in motorways

30ish MPG if i fly at 90+MPH.

(speeds taken from shown value on speedometer)

no accurate figures for town or 'A-roads' though, maybe ~30MPG around town

I do have cross bars on my car most of the time, but is this a little low and does having a roof rack make a significant difference. Are my values low or average?

I had that engine in my first Fabia. I think I averaged around 44mpg in mixed driving once the engine was run in.

The roof bars will affect the fuel consumption as they increase both the mass of the car and they add drag through the air. I've never used them myself so I have no idea what kind of affect they would have.

Depending on my driving style i average from 29 mpg (silly ragging in low gears) to about 45 mpg (keeping revs low etc) . Thats for town.

Motorway, assuming my speed is constant I get about 60mpg at about 60-70mph

When flying (I.E flooring down motorway I get about 22mpg in 5th gear, this decreases as the revs increase, when topped out i get 21.8mpg)

I've got the same car as you and yes the fuel consumption is high!

I get about 38 mpg on average going around town driving what I call normal but if I give it sum I can physically see my fuel gauge move :mad:

I think driving at around 70 mph I get about 58 mpg so thats not too bad

I ran a Fabia 1.4mpi for over two years and generally was getting 35 -38mpg and just nudging 40mpg on a run.

I also have four other 1.4mpi in my Company and a couple of them only ever get driven around London. The consumption on these can be below 30mpg.

I'd say from the figures you have given, you are doing fine, particularly if you use roof bars which will 'cost' you 2 - 4 mpg.

FWIW I've always thought my mpg is lousy (bought from new). That said, I do feel safe in it. I kinda assumed my car was designed when there was a trade-off re safety, i.e. cars would be heavier from side bars etc, so I accept it is the way it's meant to be.

My take is that if I'm not happy, I should buy a new car, but this one has served me well and still is serving me well for my town-driving needs, so I put up with low mpg, being cheaper than forking out a few thou for one with a better mpg. It'd take me a while to recoup a few thou on gains from better mileage if you see what I mean.

Regards

Mo

My car does approx 38mpg around town , 45mpg on dual carriageway runs and close to 50mpg on a run on single track A and B roads where speeds are kept low ie 40-60 mph. All figures from the computer , not the more accurate 'brim to brim' calculations. Coming from a Lancer Evo II (where getting into the 20s in MPG was like entering the promised land!), thats more than economical enough for me! ;)