Jeremy Clarkson reviews the Roomster 09/09/07

simtub

A surprisingly good review from JC. Odd comments about the 'quick' steering though, as it's not something I've heard many people complain about before, especially on a Skoda.

Other reviews seemed to rate the handling pretty well saying the turn in was good due to a wider rear track than that at the front.

I generally concur with JC on the Roomster as I had one for 3 days last week whilst my Octavia was in the garage.

Despite my kids laughing at the shape and my daughter being disappointed to find out that it wasn't a Fabia and therefore she couldn't eat it, I was quite impressed.

It has loads of room, rides comfortably, seems well screwed together and the 1.9 diesel version achieved an indicated 70mpg on one 10 mile run (usually mid to high 50's elsewhere). My only comment about the steering was that I thought it was too light, which might give the impression of a sharp turn in.

A person even stopped me in the supermarket carpark, as I loaded my shopping, to ask for my opinion on it (he said he knew it would be me driving it when I came out of the shop door - I'm still unsure how to take that comment as my regular steed is an Octavia vRS :o ).

Overall I give it a :thumbup:

Yes, an interesting review and JC is usually spot on with his comments.

However the looks will never win me over, not just the cut'n'shut side view but also the owlish front view which unfortunately has also spoilt the look of the new Fabia.

The (hopefully) forthcoming Yeti is a different kettle of fish, i love the look of it from any angle.